SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostalover67

Need help with Turquoise, Tomato & Toile master suite

hostalover67
15 years ago

I need some help here. I love our new master bed/bath, but I just cannot seem to come to a decision on window treatments.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

My original intent was to use a black-and-white print for curtains, but every time I think I've found the right thing it just doesn't seem right... Here is my latest fabric sample for floor length curtains shirred on a decorative rod.

{{!gwi}}

What do y'all think? Will it look good with the toile in the adjoining bath? I am also considering using white for the main part of the panel, with this fabric as a band around the edges.

I also welcome any advice or comments about decorating the rooms in general. Our budget is very limiting right now, but I'd love to hear ideas for warming up the room that I could phase in later. The bedroom just looks so bare and boxy... And I didn't realize how small and out of scale our makeshift night tables look till I saw this pic! LOL

Thanks so much! I've lurked here for years, but this is my first post ...

Comments (44)

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Question? Are you dead set on using the tomato color on the pillows and bedside table?

I don't know what look you like. But why not dress the bed up with more linens and shams? Perhaps even a throw at the end of the bed with coordinating pillows. And personalize it a bit with frames, books. Add more furniture in the room such as a chair or truck or mirrors or plates or another table.

I don't think color is as important as making the room look like YOU. But there are so many turquoise things you can buy now.

Your bathroom is lovely and the paper is so pretty.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I think clean white linen drapes would be very nice in your room. I would hesitate using a pattern because you may change your bedding in the future.

• Related Discussions

master bdrm color/and selling..HELP!

Q

Comments (26)
    I'm so grateful for the advice and comment... It's really helpful! I'm trying to find a master bedroom/suite color which fits the whole house 'palette,' (I've got an 'autumn' color-set, neutral or a small step toward mid-range), and coordinates with lt yellow bath tile (and its black stripe). My other bedrms/2nd floor, are soft fern, and moonglow, so I wanted a color that balanced/worked with them, for slow/complementarity. Houses in my neighborhood have sold in today's popular decorating colors (eg, 'pumpkin' kitchens, or Pottery Barn colors) , a swell as neutrals, which from what I know from buyers, they look forward to changing (as I did when I moved here.. the ugliest antique white I've ever seen). I'm trying to come up with paint color for the master/suite. I've tried a taupe - great color - but coor w/the bathrm yellow doesn't seem to work well. So, I see my choices as being a tan or blue w/some grey in it. I have looked at Quiet Moments :), love it, as I do Harveser (SW), an will look up Monroe Bisque. The In the end, from what you say.. something good and clean and well-decorated (basically, color-wise, whatever that may be, as an individual case) - is the best I can do. So many of those tan/beige colors just aren't a color I'd want to sleep in.. and there's the question, etc, of which tans/beiges look/feel good to the majority. Thank you, thank you... your comments have been very helpful, as would any additional advice. D.
    ...See More

black and white toile needs freshening

Q

Comments (24)
    thanks - sorry didn't mean to hijack, but it was so weird!! i'm sorry to say that's one of the only paint colors i don't remember from our last house. it was a valspar color - a soft gray with very subtle blue undertones. if i got to play color swatch namer, i'd have called it "cape cod gray" :)
    ...See More

Master redo – brainstorming and need feedback

Q

Comments (56)
    When I find photos that inspire, I save them to go through later and make a list of what it is about them that I like. Mine always come with lots of cream, neutrals and green, touches of neoclassical style, gold framed paintings, med to light toned warm wood finishes, LOTS of natural light, white china, etc. The list is long, and the same things tend to catch my eye, but I do the exercise again from time to time to see if I'm still drawn to the same elements or if I've gotten past some of them. It helps keep me focused. I even take my list shopping with me when I'm looking for accessories so I don't get distracted by the latest trend.
    ...See More

Is high gloss light turquoise / blue ceiling too daring?

Q

Comments (13)
    I've observed that vibrant colors always seem even more vibrant when painted over a large area, like a ceiling or walls, as opposed to something small like a throw pillow or vase. It's just how our brains process color. So when choosing a color for a large surface, I pick something a little bit more muted that I think I want based on the swatch. My living room, for example, is a blue that looked almost gray on the swatch. On the walls, though, it is distinctly a robin's egg blue. I've seen high-gloss ceilings done well, but I think they are difficult to pull off. As other's have noted, high gloss will show every little flaw, so the surface preparation has to be impeccable. It's probably why I usually only see them, or high-gloss walls, in very high end homes.
    ...See More
  • hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. No, the tomato color is not set in stone. Do you think too many colors is part of my problem? Those pillows on the bed are old ones from the living room, and the red on the bedside tables is actually empty pillow covers from a previous room, too. So yeah, the red could go... I'll need to think about...

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I agree with threegrad, I would use white drapes to continue with the clean and breezy atmosphere of your bedroom. Whatever you add in the future won't have
    to take into account the pattern of the drapes.

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What do you think of using the scroll print in room somewhere (perhaps not as curtains). Does it fight with the toile in bathroom? The reason I ask, is I just happen to have 7 yards of this fabric. lol
    Also, should I bring more turquoise into the bathroom?

Thanks for all your great ideas. I'm open to any critcism too (The only thing in the bedroom that is non-negotiable is the bed and the white coverlet.

I'm trying to see this objectively, and it's been driving me nuts!

• yayagal
    15 years ago

I'd also go with white but then I'd use the toile to cover a few of those pillows, make a gorgeous tablecloth in white and put a square of that fabric on the table. I'd find a soft turquoise pillow in the same tone as the wall and it would be one with texture like a soft chenille etc. I'd get some black picture frames and spray mount the toile to the cardboard that comes in the frame and then get some soft prints (like birds or flowers) and place each one in the center of the frame and mount them over the bed, One high and the other two below in a triangular shape. Then spice up the table with a few items in a third color of your choice. I can see a nice tray on your white bureau with a few photos and containers in the third color. Same with the end table. Good luck, you'll get lots of ideas here, your room is lovely so far. I love the bathroom. Yes I would pull some items of turquoise or the third color in to the bathroom.

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone for all the great ideas--keep them coming!

I too love the bathroom. lol It's my favorite room in the entire house...

• msrose
    15 years ago

hostalover - I love your wall color. What is it? I actually like the idea of a print on the windows since you have the solid white on the bed. I think the fabric looks fine with the toile in the bathroom. I'm not that crazy about the tomato though.

Laurie

• lkplatow
    15 years ago

I'll be the dissenting vote. I like the black scroll print - I think it adds some zest. I'd actually like to see the drapes and a big fluffy duvet folded at the foot of the bed made from the black scroll fabric (but you'll have to get more of it). It won't be as spa-like, zen, and restfulas your room is now or would be with plain white drapes, but I tend to prefer bedrooms with a little zip. As a matter of fact, I'm currently in the process of picking a lime-green paint color to go with the raspberry red quilt in my MBR -- so you might want to disregard anything I say about decorating from here on out, LOL!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I'll second lkplatow and say that I like a little zip, also.
    Can't wait to see her lime and raspberry room!

What sets your room apart from the scores of other 'Zen' and 'spa-like' spaces, is the color and pattern you've added on your own.

You show some very good instincts so don't be afraid of breaking away from the masses.

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

msrose: the wall color is Ace Fairfax, if I remember correctly... I can double-check on that if you're interested.

lkplatow: On the contrary! I also prefer a little "zip"! Your raspberry and lime sounds delicious. I hope you post pics of it!

Thanks both of you for you support of the scroll fabric curtains. I really like the print, and I am not really going for zen or spa-like. Although I enjoy seeing such rooms, they are just not me! I like color and pattern. Thus the scroll fabric and tomato color. Hmmm... sounds like I may need to re-think that tomato, though...

• sweeby
    15 years ago

I actually like the tomato with the soft turquoise and toile --
    I could see adding some silver and mercury glass, and maybe a bit more shine in the tomato somewhere?

For curtains, I think that fabric is a bit 'heavy'. Too much black relative to the white? Maybe something more 'toiley'?
    Or, what about a toile-like print in cream linen with some tomato and turqoise in it? Won't be too easy to find, but I've seen a few.

• tgd2008
    15 years ago

I agree that the pattern, color, and character of the fabric on the window doesn't look quite right with the bathroom. I think I would continue right along with more of the toile, through the whole master suite. You could add some "black" trim on the curtains to set them off a bit from the bathroom. Maybe just a few bands of pencil stripes along the bottom as in the bathroom, or a border along the inner edge. Full and fluffy toile duvet at the foot of the bed.

I like the cheerful red, though you could go for a more muted one on the terra cotta side, if peaceful is your goal. Except from the red, everything else appears very muted, serene and restful.

Very pretty room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Table top extender

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This was my original idea for trimming the scroll fabric curtains to help bring in the red--scroll curtain body, banded with white and the red trim. Whaddaya think?

{{!gwi}}

This one shows the rods I have. Yea or nay?
    {{!gwi}}

I am a little concerned that some of you are saying the scroll pattern doesn't work with the toile. The reason I chose a darker pattern with more black was because I felt the room was too blue-and-white and needed some depth, specifically more black...

I have been unable to find the exact toile pattern of the wallpaper in fabric, except at a price that shocks me to my very core, and quite frankly, I simply will not pay that much for curtains! lol I am cheap I guess. I would need 25 yards.

BTW my turquoise is what I would call dusty turquoise. It is a medium shade. Not light or pale at all... The first pic in this post a pretty good representation--on my monitor at least.

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

hostalover, I really like your idea of the white & red trim on the black scroll fabric! It looks very smart. In fact, I like the rest of the red in the room - it doesn't seem tomato-y to me, but darker. On the scroll fabric: could you repeat it elsewhere, such as a pillow on the bed - maybe also trimmed in the red - or a table topper? If there isn't enough fabric, could you do maybe valances instead of floor-length panels? My3dogs makes beautiful valances in her house - have you seen them?

Perhaps the reason you & some of the others are concerned about the fabric with the bathroom paper is because it is about the same scale as the wallpaper? The fabric doesn't have anything to tie in with the paper, so if your main goal is to coordinate w/the paper, you may need to find another spot for the fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: My3dogs home interior

• tgd2008
    15 years ago

I see you're already thinking about using the print as a border with white curtains. How about using the toile for that so it won't take so much yardage? To me, the boldness of this fabric dominates the toile. It also seems more modern. It is very beautiful. Maybe as a border it would be more subdued. We can't see the whole picture as you can though.

Love the bordering you plan and the touch of red.

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

More bold, more modern. I think that is what makes me question this fabric, much as I love it...

The tomato color is a deep, rusty red. Maybe I've been using the wrong word for the color I'm describing. lol.

• bepeace
    15 years ago

Your room is looking beautiful, I think it just needs the 'layering.' I agree with alot of the responses - perhaps you could find a toile sheet and do pillow covers and a tablecloth for the nightstand. A white or off-white drape with a chocolate border would keep things crisp and you could choose a bold or subtle accent color for vases and a pillow (turquoise or raspberry?). Finally, a vintage mirror above the dresser would look fantastic.

• les917
    15 years ago

I think the black and white print for the drapery is a nice idea, but that particular fabric feels heavy, perhaps because the background is black with a white print, while the wallpaper is white with a black print. What about this?

cuffano white black embroidery

I would skip the red banding on these. I would think about making a shower curtain of the same fabric for the bathroom.

I like the red accents in the room, and would add some red towels to the bath for the little pop of color.

I would get rid of the center red pillow and add something like this in the middle to bring the blue onto the bed:

flowering quince pillow

I would also think about changing the bedside table down the line. Tho I am a fan of the round cloth-covered decorator table idea, this one looks small compared to the size of the bed and the lamps. Perhaps just a larger one of the same style.

I would remove the red cloth from the bedside table on the right side. It doesn't really fit the style of the piece.

I think it might be fun to add some black and white tassel trim to the bottom of the two bedside lampshades.

tassel fringe

I think you have a lovely, serene space!

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for some great ideas!

What do you all think of black sheers on these windows?

• tgd2008
    15 years ago

I can't picture black sheers, sounds a bit heavy in color for your room. Was thinking, maybe a valance in the toile and then the white curtains, maybe with some trim detailing. Or white sheers would be really pretty too.

Which toile do you have? There are some online discount houses. Some sell at wholesale.

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

Hostalover, I love your ideas and the scroll pattern is perfect, imo.
    Your window treatment design is wonderful too.
    The shots of red are a great idea, better if you can keep them closer to the coral red family.
    Coral and turquoise are a classic combination.
    There's a thread about beachy decor and these pics were posted.
    Look at the Breakfast Room pic for a little inspiration - coral red, turquoise and white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Langford House

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am looking for the wallpaper pattern... I don't seem to have any of the labels left! It was an Imperial pattern, I think. I will post a close-up pic soon.

Thanks for the link, Joanie, and the support. lol. I am all over the place here! I haven't totally elimated the scroll fabric. Just re-thinking my options....

BTW, that breakfast room is LOVELY! Love the whole house!

• kswl2
    15 years ago

I love the tomato colour with the turquoise and black!

The scroll pattern looks very dark and heavy, and a bit old-fashioned for the fresh, modern/traditional look you've started. I think the heavy dark curtains will weigh your room down unnecessarily.... have you considered a red toile in the same colour as your pillows? You can put them on a thin black rod and hang them by the smaller black iron rings.... just a thought :)

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Close-up of the toile:

{{!gwi}}

Today I am leaning toward the scroll again--either for the body of the curtain, or on white curtains as a border. When the 6-yard length comes in (already paid for), perhaps I can get a better visual on it, and make a final decision.

Red toile is a great idea, too--I will definitely keep that in mind, too.

Got to go work now. Thanks so much everyone!!!

• kswl2
    15 years ago

I re-read your op and somehow missed that you were planning on using the black toile in the adjoining bath. Can you not use the black toile as curtains in the bedroom, too? Toile is typically seen with a plain stripe or check as a foil because it usually fights with other patterns. I definitely wouldn't use the toile and scroll in the same room, even for accents, but in different but adjoining rooms they would be fine! However, you'd have a more pulled-together look, imo, using the toile for curtains in the bedroom. If you don't line the curtains I think you could use black sheers underneath in a layered sort of effect, with a small edge of the sheer visible on the leading edge of each curtain panel. That would be a nice contrast since there is so much white in the toile. If you did that you probably wouldn't want to band or edge the curtains with a contrasting material, which would be a savings on the fabrication.

I do love the cool, sophisticated feel of the room already has.

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

Yes!!!
    My original idea before I read you have already thought of it is to add a red trim to the curtains.
    However.. go Bigger and Bolder with the trim. Much wider. Perhaps a fringe. Something more substantial and visible than the thin trim.
    That would look Luscious!
    A wide ruffle with red accent at the bottom.. or the top?
    OOOHHH I have an idea .. instead of hanging with the boring Black wooden curtain rings.. paint them RED!

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

I like the idea of a white and black printed curtain, just not THAT one. The rest of the room has a soothing spa like feel to it and then there's this bold, busy curtain drawing all the attention to itself. A print with with more white to it than black would be better or one where the black is done in lines and not colored in areas of solid black (what Les was saying basically).

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How about a medium black/white gingham (1-1 1/2") for the banding on white curtains, OR red/coral banding with a line of black/white trim on white curtains.

The reason I am shying away from using toile for the curtains, is becuase I am not even sure I can get the fabric print that matches the wallpaper anymore... The wallpaper was an ebay purchase

I would consider another black on white print provided it blended well...

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

By the way, I was not going for a spa-like or "restful" look (yeah, I know I'm supposed to rest here, by when I'm ready to sleep, I turn off the lights and close my eyes, and it all becomes "restful" anyway. LOL!)... Is this the look my bath is pushing my into?

My preferred look is more lush/layered (and colorful).

I might be wrong, and I'm sure no professional, but it seems to me when I am done with the room (appropriate furnishings, more fabric colors and/or patterns, accessories) that the scroll curtains will not be "grabbing all the attention"... I just don't know what to think. Can you tell I really like that scroll fabric? lol.

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

Hostalover, I think you're going in the right direction with the scroll fabric - don't second guess yourself.

I think the scroll fabric complements the color scheme in your Master Bath which, I believe, is what you're trying to do.
    Imo, there is no need to worry about matching, coordinating, or scale since the Toile isn't in the Master Bedroom.

I think others may have said it already but making a duvet, table toppers, or one or two pillows out of the scroll fabric would pull it all together.
    I think your rooms will flow nicely once you're done.
    Have fun!

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

Hostalover, my eyesight isn't what it used to be, but I think that toile in your bath is the Jamestown pattern, am I right? As a toile fanatic, I'm always looking at toile fabrics, and if that is Jamestown, you can get it now at a great price at this link, only $6.95 a yard. Certainly that's a steal for draperies!

If it's not Jamestown, but Rustic Life, let me know, and I can probably dig up a good price on that pattern, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jamestown toile

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, it's not Jamestown or Rustic Life. I got the wallpaper on ebay, and I don't remember the name. It's a toile pattern I've never seen elsewhere.

Thanks for your help!

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I have only skimmed the thread, but I was JUST looking at some fabric that would look gorgeous in your room:

{{!gwi}}

• tgd2008
    15 years ago

Have you thought about dusty teal panels, a bit darker than your walls. You could add white sheers (maybe with a patterned detail) and trim like you've been thinking of. That would warm things up with color and layers. A teal velvet would be rich, warm and luxurious too.

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

I love black gingham with black and white toile. I'd probably end up making curtains of b&w gingham with a wide toile border at the bottom and red grosgrain trim between them.

beautiful room,BTW

• ronbre
    15 years ago

i think it is fine

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

Hostalover, Somehow I missed the closeup photo of your bathroom toile when I was responding with my post. Yes, you're right, it's not Rustic Life, Jamestown, Country Life or any other frequently seen toile pattern. It's very similar to the fabric pattern I used for my daughter's wedding, though hers was in blue and ivory, and unfortunately unique enough that finding matching fabric a year later was an impossibility, sigh.... At least you know that what you have is not something you'll see everywhere else!

I love the colors you've used in your bedroom and bathroom thus far, especially the wall color! I do think that the black and white gingham would be a perfect companion for white curtains, though I'd go with a smaller check size if it were mine. You also might consider making a black and white gingham shower curtain, trimmed with whatever accent color you select for your bedroom curtains, or trim the existing white curtain with some gingham. This would pull the two rooms together.

I'm sure that whatever you decide, it will look luscious, and I can't wait to see the results!
    Heidi

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

If you don't use the scroll pattern for bedroom curtains, how about a shower curtain, and then make tablecloths for the bedside tables? Those tables do look undersized, but you could probably find a larger top, either MDF or on freecycle or CL, for not too much $$.

And as is my constant refrain, consider replacing the bright white light switch/dimmer with one that can be painted to match that great wall color.

An area rug with some color and texture would also add more warmth.

• kaycee_ann
    15 years ago

I love the red accents with the turquoise--just beautiful. I guess I'm in the minority when I say the black scroll fabric is perfect. It goes nicely because of the black bed. I think there is enough separation from the bathroom to use it. I love fabric, and I say if that fabric makes you smile, use it!

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for your help and ideas! Just to let you all know what I decided: I ordered an additional 20 yards of the scroll fabric to make the long panels. Haven't decided yet if I will add the white border with the red trim, or make them without.

I'll post more pics when I get the curtains made and hung. Thanks again!!!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I said in my previous post that you showed good instincts.

Here is a room that was shown as an inspiration for someone's kitchen done by a prominent designer.

The one thing that set it apart from the rest, IMO, was the simple addition of the towel on the right side of the island. If everything was green and white, it would have looked the same as 1000s of others.

Even those who are on a strict budget can create unique and lovely homes with a few simple color additions.

I wouldn't have even opened your post if the title hadn't contained the word tomato. :)

• hostalover67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aw, thanks! I adore that kitchen, by the way...

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I also like the idea of your color scheme. I'll admit when I read the title I wasn't to sure. The tomato trim cinched it for me though. I don't care for the scroll fabric though.

My 1st thought was a heavier toile pattern w/ more black and then Les posted & then I thought - yes - a different yet still delicate pattern. Then whomever suggested a check sold me on the idea of just a different pattern w/ the tomato trim.