SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fishfry_gw

SW Harmony and lap marks...

fishfry
14 years ago

I finished painting a bedroom with SW Superpaint and as always the next room, in this case the hallway, started to look shabby in comparison. So with new found enthusiasm I went back to my local SW store to buy some 7716 Croissant for the hall, its a nice beige.

The girl working there suggested I try their Harmony line as it was a no VOC paint. I told her I always used Superpaint but since she was so high on it I'd give it a try.

Big mistake, after doing all my prep work, trim and priming I starting to cut in. I could tell right off the bat that the Harmony paint was not going to be easy to work with, you basically got 2 strokes and it started to set.

Well I finished the cutting in and started to roll and jeez this stuff was like glue. Looked pretty bad after the first coat but I was still confident that the 2nd coat would help all that. Wrong! It looked pretty much the same, blotches and lap marks.

I began to doubt my somewhat questionable painting skills so I began reading up here and other sites on ways to correct lapmarks etc. I learned to do a small 2 or 3 foot area at a time, work your way down and finish that column with nice light full strokes while keeping the roller elbow on the dry side and applying just a little more pressure on the elbow side.

I bought a Wooster Sherlock frame and more paint and did a third and forth coat along with re-cutting in and damn if it didn't still look bad...

Went back to SW and told them about my problems and they gave me 2 gallons of Superpaint.. The Harmony was an eggshell finish and Superpaint's closest is a Satin so I had to recut in and apply 2 more coats.

After like 6 coats I'm finally done and it looks fantastic but I'm gonna take a break from painting for a little while. Just wanted to thank people like Michael for all the info I got off this site through the search feature.

Comment (1)