SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckygardnr

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, March 23, 2011

luckygardnr
13 years ago

I'd love to make this soup but I've never seen frozen artichoke hearts in Ontario. Do you think I could use a can of them instead?

Potato Artichoke Soup

From EatingWell

This luxurious potato-artichoke soup is simple enough to be served with a salad for dinner, yet turns into an elegant first course when you top it with a slice of garlic-rubbed crostini smeared with olive tapenade.

8 servings, about 1 cup each

Active Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients

1 tablespoon butter

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

1 stalk celery, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or parsley

3 cups chopped peeled potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)

1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped

4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, âÂÂno-chickenâ broth (see Note) or vegetable broth

2 cups water

1/2 cup half-and-half (optional)

1/2 teaspoon salt

Freshly ground pepper to taste

Preparation

1. Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme (or parsley); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.

2. Stir in potatoes and artichoke hearts. Add broth and water; bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.

3. Puree the soup in the pot using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Stir in half-and-half (if using), salt and pepper.

Tips & Notes

Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

Note: Chicken-flavored broth, a vegetarian broth despite its name, is preferable to vegetable broth in some recipes for its hearty, rich flavor. Sometimes called âÂÂno-chickenâ broth, it can be found with the soups in the natural-foods section of most supermarkets.

Comments (3)