SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Cheap fix needed... (long sad story)

sweeby
16 years ago

We're remodeling the entire house and made a few little errors of judgement (OK, more than a few) and I'm hoping some of you clever people can help bail me out of this particular set of mistakes.

Early in the remodel, we moved a bunch of walls around and ended up with a wide shallow closet in our upstairs hallway, which serves the bedrooms and bathrooms. The original plan for this closet was linen storage, which makes sense, given the size, shape and location. Then we got creative... (OK, I did.) I thought how cool it would look to have the three sliding doors on this closet be in a Shoji screen style, back-lit from behind, on dimmers, to gently and gracefully illuminate the hallway. I still think that would be cool - and Hubby agreed. So then I start looking for Shoji screen doors. (cue scary music) The price tags weren't good; in fact, they were really scary...

So DH tells me we can get the same great look from 'regular' glass doors, and for whatever reason (was I drunk?), I agreed. He further persuades me that we should put in glass shelves and use the area as a display case for our art glass collection, and again, I agree. (more evidence of drinking problem?) So he built it. We put in our art glass, and it looks pretty good. Totally illogical, but attractive.

Fast forward six years and enough time has passed (or the Margaritas have worn off?) that I'm able to admit to myself that the whole 'regular glass doors / glass shelves' idea is a bad one. The entire idea of displaying our pretties in a place we pass only on the way up to bed or to the bathroom is dumb. (DH agrees - so we moved our beautiful pieces downstairs where they bring us pleasure daily.) That space really should be a linen closet - and now we're using it as such - but with clear glass doors, it's UGLY!

This is where I need your help...

The doors are plain single-pane French-door style glass doors, and they had to be trimmed to size with special hardware installed to retrofit them for this purpose. And DH HATES to redo or undo work that he's done, so changing out the doors is a LAST resort. It would cost me a lot of marital currency and goodwill...

So I'm now wondering what to do to make these doors work. My first thought was a window film, but I haven't seen one that seems right. I definitely don't want one that looks 'fake' since our whole house is very 'warm earthy and woody' with natural materials. Also, the glass is 23" wide, and most films I've seen are narrower and would need to be seamed down the middle, killing the 'natural' look. I was wondering if a grasscloth wallpaper or fabric might work -- but would want to adhere it from the reverse side of the glass for durability. Gathered curtains would be too 'country' a look to work in this house.

Anyone have any ideas??

Comments (37)