Silk screen cards

minnie_tx

I wonder if this really works. I have some of those screen scenes kits they sold a few years ago but never tried them.

This looks easy enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: silk screening

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calirose

Wow Minnie, it looks almost too simple! It would be fun to try it and see what kind of results is gotten.

Save    
ArtsyCraftsy

It works! I did a unit on silkscreening with 5th graders and we used the cheap posterboard to make a "box lid", cut a hole in the middle and taped in our organza, and then used a piece of folded cardboard as a "squeegee". We talked about polish paper-cutting and then they cut some paper snowflake designs out of freezer paper to use as their stencil for printing. I can't remember what we used to print with though....water-based ink or tempera paint?

Karen

Save    
ArkansasBarbara

I guess I'm dense but I can't figure out from the instructions where you put the paint mixture. Do you put it on the newspaper or on the fabric? And how do you make prints from it? Obviously I don't understand silk screening. Can someone tell me how this works?

Thanks!!

Save    
ArtsyCraftsy

Barbara- We ran the paint in a line across the top of the image, not on the organza but on the cardboard border that was masked off.
Then we took the cardboard squeegee and pulled the paint towards us, making sure the paint has gone the whole way across so you have no bare spots. Usually the first print is incomplete, but by the second or third one your screen is filled and the impressions look good. You have to add ink across the top as needed. A real window squeegee works better than cardboard, but I needed to have one for each child to use.

Karen

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz Binge on the Design of ‘House of Cards’
Pull up a seat to Netflix’s addictive political drama for sets and fashions rife with intrigue
Full Story
Crafts Silk-Screen a Tumbler for a Singular Designer Look
Turn a cheap thrift store piece into a rich-looking, personalized decor accessory in this unbelievably easy DIY project
Full Story
Crafts Celebrate Fall With Silk-Screened Leaf Candleholders
An unexpected twist takes these stackable embellished candleholders from wonderful seasonal decor into the realm of art
Full Story
At Capital Cabinets & Closets, we've built a reputation as an industry leader in full-service space management... Read More
Biltmore Design Galleria is a Design-Build company with over 15 years or so of experience. We are firm believers... Read More