SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Island pendants � need help choosing, please

kaysd
11 years ago

I am having a very hard time choosing lighting for over our 4.5' x 8' island. My first choice would probably be 3 or 5 mini pendants hung at different heights and not in a straight line. Unfortunately, we have a wood ceiling with no attic above, so each separate light requires wires to be run over the roof in conduit with a hole poked through the roof into the kitchen ceiling. DH wants to minimize the number of holes because he is worried about roof leaks, plus GC charges $400 for each extra hole through the roof. Because of our ceiling, we cannot have any recessed cans, so the island lighting has to provide good light for the room. We will also have under and over cabinet lighting, a long fluorescent up/down sconce over the pantry and wall ovens, and two recessed positionable satin nickel "eyeball" lights in the soffit over the window bumpout. (The track lighting shown over the sink in the sketch below is not being used.)

My designer suggested a S-shaped track with 3 pendants by Tech Lighting because it will only require 1 hole and allows the lights to not be in a straight line. (She has advised against any linear fixtures because the island does not line up with the range and hood and she thinks a long straight line above the island will highlight the issue.) I am considering the Echo and Essex pendants, both approximately 9" h x 5" w. Unfortunately, the Tech system came back at $2,000, which is way more than I expected.

DH and I both like the Eurofase Dervish drum pendant. It has 3 "concentric curved panels to form a drum shade, the pieces spaced to give the illusion that they are floating in alignment." It is 5.5" high and comes in 15" ($360) and 22" ($540) diameter. It would require a second hole through the roof and higher install cost, but the fixtures are much less expensive.

Our kitchen will be modern, with a mix of sleek and rustic: walnut slab cabinets, White Macauba counters, SS Gaggenau refrigeration columns and other SS appliances, stained fir ceiling, stone-look porcelain floor, chrome faucets, some frosted glass.

What do you think would look better scale and style wise: an S track with three 9"h x 5"w pendants or 2 larger drum pendants (either 15" or 22")? Or something else entirely?

Kitchen layout:

Sleek SS fridges, but surrounded by walnut cabinetry:

Tech Essex pendants:

Tech Echo pendants (multiple colors available):

Dervish pendant in Chrome:

Dervish pendant in satin nickel:

Comments (11)