SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kyley_gw

Expert questions about Benjamin Moore Aura satin / flat

kyley
16 years ago

Hello All,

First post here. After reading a lot around here and elsewhere, we've decided to probably go with Benjamin Moore Aura paint for the house we're having built. Our painter will be doing this - I'm not a painter at all (which is why I'm asking for help)... I have a few questions, particularly relating to satin vs flat. First of all, from what I understand, flat is typically harder to clean but easy to touch up and satin is harder to touch up but easy to clean. I read one place that Aura satin and flat are both easy to clean and touch up without looking bad / different. So my questions:

1. Are Aura satin and flat both easy to clean and touch up in your experience? Which paint is better in each aspect?

2. Which would you choose for your home (why)? Consider we have a 4 year old son.

3. I'm confused on what I've read about their color matching. Can I take a Sherwin Williams paint swatch (which is what we'd picked from) and have them match? Is that a bad idea? We're doing a chocolate brown (I think it's called portabello) and a "resolute blue".

4. In Consumer Reports, Aura satin had an average rating for "surface smoothness" - absence of roller marks, and poor for "gloss change" when cleaned with a hard-surface cleaner (most low luster paints did, but they were excellent for "scrubbing" with an abrasive cleaner - not sure what the difference is). Aura flat had a poor rating for "surface smoothness" (and average for staining). Should I be concerned with this?

Thanks in advance!

--Kyle

Comments (4)