SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pete978

Need Solution to Ralph Lauren Paint Problems

pete978
16 years ago

Back before there was so much info on the net (6 years or so), we bought Ralph Lauren picket fence white semi-gloss paint for the trim in one room in our house. We love the color, but out of the can the paint is not fun to apply. It is very think and brush marks resulted in abundance. Seems counter in characteristics to the other recommended trim paints out there.

Now, I am learning about better options for trim paints as well as conditioning products.

My preferred option would be (I think) to get this color "matched" in another paint (thinking Muralo Ultra waterborne). I do have the original paint, along with the sticker on top indicating the colorants added. Can a dealer determine the colorant needed for Muralo based on the characteristics of the RL base used for tinting and the additions used to make this color for Ralph Lauren (Home Depot purchase), or can they look it up somewhere, or do I need to bring in a dry sample of the paint on a sample board?

Frankly, since it is an off-white, a small difference in the color match would not be noticeable, especially since old trim and new trim going forward would not be visible together in good light.

The second and less preferred option in my mind is to use Floetrol or Latex X-tender to condition the RL paint to work. Since my overall trim conversion to the new color in the house is at about 10%, I do not want to go this route. I would much rather switch to quality paint now and get better results.

Your thoughts are appreciated,

Pete

Comments (4)