beware of price markups in the paper craft aisles!

robin_DC

Hello all. I've been lurking for a while and have enjoyed reading about your paper crafts (I generally make cards) and the bargains you've found.

Unfortunately this post is not to share a bargain, but to share the opposite. I used mini clothespins to hang pjs and teddy bears on baby shower invitations that I made last week, and I bought them in the aisle at michael's that has assorted 3d stickers, eyelets, etc. for card-making and paper crafts. The day AFTER I mailed out the invitations (all 30 of them!) I went back to michael's to look for some cake decorating materials, and ended up walking down their wood craft aisle, where I discovered a large bag of mini clothespins for a fraction of the price of the clothespins that are packaged for card-making. I spent $26 for clothespins I could have had for $6, if only I'd known where to look! I compared them and they're the same thing!

Just wanted to share so that noone else falls into the same trap. I'd already discovered that I can often buy bags of foamies to use as 3d accents on cards for a lot less than the price of 3d stickers in the paper/scrapbook aisles, but now I know that no matter what I buy, I should always scour the other aisles.

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Alice_sj

Robin,
Thanks for the warning. I try to make sure I find the best deals too, and kick myself when I find a better deal not long after. (When I wanted my 1/16" punch do you think I could find it anywhere? No! But now, they are everywhere and cheaper than I paid. Arg!)
Also, I have searched a couple Michael's in my area and none of them carry eyelets. *sigh* Another thing I have to send away for.

Save    
Diane_from_NJ

I know this is after the fact, but our $ store has these weeee little clothes pins...50? in a pack. I wonder if they're what you used? I've seen them used on the front of a baby photo album to hold a "clothesline" of diapers

Save    
robin_DC

Diane, yes that sounds like the same item I used for my clotheslines. I haven't seen them at any of my local dollar stores, but I'll keep an eye out for them in the future. I bought one of the 50 packs at michael's for 2.99 for future crafts/cards.

Alice, I hate having to send away for things! Ebay and the internet are the only sources I've found for some of the more unique punches that they sell at impress in seattle, and I wish I still traveled there regularly so that I could just buy things in person.

Save    
ArtsyCraftsy

Alice did you check the card-making supplies section for eyelets? That's where my Michaels has them- not with the stamping & scrapping supplies. In fact they have a ton of new kinds I never saw before and snaps, too...words, alphabet letters, shaped tags, stars, triangles, squares, lots of colors, etc. Not as cheap as the stamp store, but very cool! I also check my local re-uzit shop for eyelets. They have tons of sewing notions and buttons for sale, and there is always a baggie of mixed sizes and colors of the larger eyelets which still are fun for paper crafting.
I also saw those tiny clothespins at my local Dollar Tree..a good size pack of about 1 inch sized wood pins.

Save    
Alice_sj

Artsy,
I even asked for help finding eyelets at Michael's. Of course, the "help" wasn't very knowledgeable and tried taking me down the doll isle. ??? I always look in the paper isle, stamping isle, ect. They're all together. I couldn't believe they didn't have eyelets either, but the stores here seem to have more of the fake flowers and such and less of the paper art items. I'll keep looking though. Thanks. :)

Save    
ArtsyCraftsy

ROFLOL, Alice...they were taking you to the fake eyes, not the eyelets!!!
This whole line of card creating stuff was new to the stores this fall, so maybe your store has not been stocked yet. In my store, it was on a free-standing display in the main aisle near the Sizzix die-cuts, then a whole huge wall section near the scrapping aisle and the picture frames. I could not believe all the stuff!
I did find some great packs of little metal charms in matched theme sets...meant for cards, but perfect for making wine glass charms and cheaper than the official "wine glass" ones.
It is so true to shop all the aisles to compare products & prices. I remember a post on another board where a girl got those skeleton leaves for half the price in the floral department than the packaged ones in the rubber stamp department!

Save    
Beada

I have found the same is true for jute and plaster of paris. Don't forget to check the hardware aisles for craft supplies, too girls!

Save    
Tiger_SunnyFla

Oh, yes, Beada!!! The "Faster Plaster" is about $8 (If I remember) for a lil' jar in the craft stores...I can buy about 8LBS of Plaster of Paris (Same thing!!!???) for $3 in Home Depot!!!!!!
Robin...too bad you didn't have any recourse on your purchase....$26 is a far cry for the same thing, for $6!!!!
I would have been ticked off too!!
And Welcome to the board!! Hope you stick around! We need more "crafty" shoppers like yourself...Hehehehe!
Tiger

Save    
robin_DC

Thanks Tiger!

Alice---the michaels stores in michigan near my mom's house also don't stock the card connection products or eyelets. I didn't realize stores varied so much in selection until my failed effort to buy supplies in michigan over the holidays!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Remodeling Guides Contractor Fees, Demystified
Learn what a contractor’s markups cover — and why they’re worth it
Full Story
Kitchen Storage Get It Done: How to Clean Out the Pantry
Crumbs, dust bunnies and old cocoa, beware — your pantry time is up
Full Story
The best professional advice in Northern Virginia, charging affordable hourly rates, showing you how to turn your... Read More