SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrinavhh

Upcharge for oil? How much?

katrinavhh
14 years ago

Hello,

We contracted to have our entire interior (new construction, approx 6500 sq ft) painted with all latex paints. Long story short, the trim paint specified (by me) was an oil paint (mistake on my part).

Now, the painter claims that he is owed extra for the oil specification, because it is harder to do in oil. I know that it is messier, so I imagine this to be a PITA charge since using latex would have been easier. (The walls and ceilings were latex, BTW).

How much is an appropriate extra cost? We purchased the paint, so we're only talking about the labor charge.

(The long story is that now he is claiming we're "even" even though he has not done a second coat of wall paint. He says that the second coat of wall paint is equal to the upcharge for his using oil on the trim - and there is a lot of trim, to be fair. Of course, I am quietly dying to see that I do not have full coverage on the walls. I chose an off-white for the entire house so the lack of perfect wall coverage is noticeable. You can see the negotiation going on here!)

Any advice is much appreciated. (Except advice about whether I should or should not have done oil on the trim...it was a mistake but is a done deal!)

Comments (2)