SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillkins

Should I get counter depth or regular size frig (pics)

jillkins
15 years ago

I have a dilemma and I would love your opinions.

As you can see from the pictures below, I currently have a counter depth side by side Electrolux refrigerator. We have had numerous problems with this frig and thankfully are able to return this one.

I am debating whether to

a) get the 28.5 cu ft. Samsung French Door frig RFG297AARS which measures 33" deep without the handles. I would lose the built in look. The oak framing that boxes in the frig area is approx. 25 1/4" deep, so the frig would stick out about 7 3/4". That is an obvious minus. Pluses are the space in the frig, a bottom freezer, etc. We are a family of four with two toddler boys.

b) get the 24.1 cu ft. Samsung Side by Side frig RFG257AARS(biggest counter depth currently made). It is 27 1/4 without the handles. I would still have the built in look, but would lose the additional space and conveniences the large french door provides.

I have posted a few pictures of our current frig so you can see our space and then I also pulled out the frig to approximately where the larger frig would be so you can see what it looks like sticking out.

FYI - We do have a frig in the basement that provides some additional space. I don't think I can recess the frig into the wall because the space on the other side is the entry in our laundry room and I am afraid it would make the entry to small. I could look at having the framing on the side of the frig be redone to come out further and have the top cabinet be made larger, but I obviously can't do anything wiht the adjacent cabinets because of the granite, so not sure if that would look weird.

I am going crazy - I literally change my opinion every 30 minutes. YOUR OPINIONS ARE APPRECIATED.

P.S. I didn't post this in appliances, because I think it is more a design/aesthetic/functionality question vs. a question about the appliance itself.

Picture of current counter depth frig and frig box in:

Picture of current frig pulled out 7 inches so you can see what new frig might look like:

Comments (14)