SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abmatt

Post-Installation Granite Questions

abmatt
16 years ago

I've looked back at some older post but have some questions specific to our installation experience. Assume that we did not have the best contractor in town and let's just leave it at that.

Granite in question: Colonial Dream with heavy veining but still a lighter granite. Installed Saturday. We know to keep an eye on it.

1. Although the guy sealed the stone (I saw him) there are some dry patches, so I assume that's where the sealer was missed or the stone absorbed more in that area. Agree? When I say "dry" I mean as dry or rough as a small remnant cut away piece, not a patch of damage or missed polish.

2. A water glass will leave a ring that dissipates within minutes, so does that absorption indicate that it was improperly sealed?

3. If DH and I need to re-seal (I don't want to call these guys back) is it okay to use a different sealer from the one they left behind? (I've taken note of your favorite sealers here, 511 or something.) He used a sealer that is okay for any stone, tile, etc. Came in a green bottle with yellow-orange lettering. (My flooring guy used the same stuff on my grout).

4. Exactly how long after application do you wait for haze to buff off? Do you use a liberal amount of the sealer to begin with?

Background info: I asked the guy if he wanted to use my microfiber cloths to wipe any dust etc, from the stone before he sealed. He was happy to, but, I think he applied the sealer with it too. Seems those cloths soak up as much as they deposit.

I absolutely love the stone I picked and want to take the best care of it.

Thank you.

Anne

Comments (3)