SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flatcoat2004

Thinking about painting entire interior a single colour ?

flatcoat2004
16 years ago

Hello,

I usually hang out on kitchen and bathroom forums, but I think this is more of a decorating issue, so thanks in advance for your help !

I am nearing the end of a major remodel project on my San Francisco Victorian cottage. It is about 1100 sq ft, on one level. There are two bedrooms - a small "master" bedroom and a second bedroom that I have re-purposed during this remodel as a multi-purpose space (guest room, living room, TV room, office, potential baby/child's room). It is connected to the kitchen via double pocket doors, which will almost always remain open. The builder has been very detail-oriented, and has put in beautiful new arched openings, and has bullnosed the drywall around these openings. Here is a floorplan and a few photos to help you envision the space ...

Looking from front door through dining room, small hallway and kitchen to deck ...

Looking from dining room through small hallway into kitchen ...

Looking back through dining room and entryway from kitchen ...

Looking into second bedroom from kitchen ...

I am loving the way the project is turning out, but am at the point where I am choosing paint colours. I like the new Ben Moore Aura paints, and have nearly decided on Honeymoon for kitchen walls and Mascarpone for ceiling. (FYI, cabinetry will be creamy white, countertops soapstone, floors are dark doug fir throughout, ceilings vary from 10' high in the living/dining/master bedroom to 8' in the second bedroom and bathroom). But with the bullnosed doorways (i.e. no casing), how do you transition paint colours from one room to the next ?

That made me start thinking about using the same paint colours for almost the entire house. I really like Honeymoon, and could see that using it for the entryway/living room/dining room/hallway/kitchen/back bedroom might make the house seem much more "together". But would it be overpowering ?

Any advice/input appreciated !

Comments (12)