SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faithseed_gw

Furniture buying and redecorating help!

faithseed
13 years ago

After more than a year of being in the house we built, I'm ready to do some decorating. BUT, I need some serious help :)

This is my den, which is also the only sitting room in the house. It also happens to be the hub of the house, in that every wall has a doorway on it. The room is big, but with all of the traffic flow, I'm having a lot of problems.

Here's the floorplan. Note that couch now resides on the west wall, the two chairs are now on the south wall, and there are actually 2 more chairs on the east wall.

Here's the west side of the room

The north/east side:

and the south wall. This one is fuzzy because of the window light.

Ok- here's my delima/ requirements:

-We're a family of 7. I'd like to squeeze as much seating as possible.

-No TV to deal with

-The South wall (windows) has great views that I'd like to preserve.

- 5 children on a farm (read: lots of dirt!)

-The house style of house is a marriage between farmhouse and victorian.

-I'm ready to buy all new furniture.

-The clock must stay, but that's the only place I've found for it.

In the pictures, you can see that I was playing with the south wall trying to make 2 seating areas, as that's my longest wall. I wondered if I could do 2 chairs for hubby and I (which is what the 2 red chairs are), plus 2 small chairs and a game table there.

Here's my current thought. 2 matching leather couches on the east and west walls. 2 leather rocker/recliners on the south. Problems with that: lots of leather, lots of matching. The reality of dirt and children must be my #1 influence, but I still want it to look nice.

Here is the couch that I'm loving:

http://www.bradington-young.com/product_details.asp?cat=8W&pid=6560000&style=656-95

I love the straight back and rolled arms.

Due to space restrictions, I'm at a loss about window treatments, except to do valences inside mount.

Thank you if you've read all of this :) Suggestions?

Based on everything, is this the route you would take, and if not, why and what would you do?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus