SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hondagirl

Just starting a reno and already stressed

hondagirl
16 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie here so please bear with me. I have read a lot of posts but there is just so much info, it would take me months to thoroughly get through everything. Everything so interesting and informative and all the help here is wonderful.

Since I have a ton of questions, I won't bombard you with everything at once. I don't want to be booed off this forum! So just a few to get started.

I have an 80's honey oak kitchen with cathedral style doors in excellent condition. Kitchen is 9 and a half feet wide and about 19 feet long. I was going to update it with new countertop, backsplash and floor but there are quite a few irritations such as fridge sticking out and cabinet depth being only 21.5"etc. Now DH and I are thinking about new cabinets. Someone we know will build them for us. Kitchen layout will basically remain the same. Ceiling height is 8'.

Here are my questions:

At the moment, present cabinets do not go to the ceiling. Would it look cramped if new cabinets went to ceiling, since kitchen is narrow (a U shape)?

I just love cream colored cabinets with granite counters such as NVG. My concern is that it may give a cold feel to the kitchen and I like a warm, cozy kitchen. I also like wood cabinets but they have to be on the lighter side since that part of the kitchen does not get much light. I've looked at so many pictures and can't decide. If anybody has cream cabinets and granite,does it feel cold? I know a wood floor would warm up a kitchen but this is not possible in my case.

One last question, I bought a Kitchenaid range, model KBFS20ETSS, a freestanding range in ss with a black ceramic cooktop and black backsplash last fall and that will have to stay. So with that in mind, would it look awkward with cream cabinets and a light backsplash, would it be an eye sore? Dishwasher is also SS with black trim. (I have no idea how to post pictures )

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Comments (5)