SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanka_gw

Help! I have 5 weeks to get my house clean and organized.

susanka
12 years ago

Hi, everyone. I have a life goal of having my house clean and organized with "a place for everything and everything in its place". I'm having major surgery (knee replacement) on January 31, and I am determined to meet this goal before I go in for surgery. It's only DH and myself, and I'm the messy one. I'm not a collector and don't have the "layered look" or anything close to it, but I want to do an intense spring cleaning (which I've never really done before). I feel overwhelmed, particularly with the kitchen. I've looked online but there are so many sites with organization tips I feel even more overwhelmed after I look at them. I have dark granite countertops and stainless steelappliances, both of which show every fingerprint and look messy the minute a surface is touched. I feel like I should take everything out of the pantry and cupboards and start from scratch, but I feel like it will take me forever to figure out what to do wth it?

I feel like I actually have enough room, but just don't have it organized right. For example, I have pullout shelves in the lower cabinets, but two of them are full of a maze of cookbooks and clipped-out recipes, etc., which I never look at because I can't find anything. I use the tall bank of shelves as a pantry; it's 12 inches deep. The corner cabinet is a maze of spices and oils. I have the spices on round bases, which I think helps, but I have a tendency to try to squeeze everything in spaces that are then too hard to find anything in.

I've included a couple of photos of my kitchen taken some time ago to give you an idea of my storage possibilities. It would be better if I had pix of the cabinets open, but I don't have any.

Comments (42)