SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karencon

Old Victorian..Windows, Radiators and Doors,Oh My!

karencon
16 years ago

Hi All, I am fairly new to this forum. I am usually in kitchens. I apologize in advance if this question had been done and redone here. Don't know where else to have this discussion with so many well informed. We have been adoring a 123 y.o. Victorian in town and love, love so many things about it. It definately needs some work, split joists, siding, windows and cosmetics. This is the issue. Although we love the victorian elements in the low window sills, original four panel doors, radiators, back stairway etc., THERE IS NO PLACE TO PUT ANY FURNITURE! I noticed that the sellers have left the old doorways and put builtins in front of some of them. The master bath has two double hungs, which eat up so much space on the north side of the house. All the rooms have wonderful light. I wonder if it was a summer home because of the amount and size of windows (NE coastal town). How does one live today in one of these homes? The master bedroom doesn't have a wall big enough for a queen size bed and one side table. What are your ideas and thoughts? Purists I suspect will say not to tinker with the architecture, and realists may say "make it what you want it to be". Where is the line between respecting the age, feel and history of the home and being able to live in it. I cannot imagine being able to furnish some of the rooms without any walls. Am I just naiive about historical homes? Do I just have to "get with the program" and not buy a historical home if I don't like the features? I know if I buy it, I ultimately can do what I want with it, but I really don't want to mess with its orginal beauty too much. Any thoughts?

Comments (23)