SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamag_59

Humming, Buzzing and Fluttering

mamag_59
10 years ago

I have lived in the same two story house for about 7 yrs, and this noise is new. The first time we heard it, it was like an electrical zapping noise, heard only behind a wall beside the furnace and hot water tank downstairs. It was loud enough to be heard by my daughter in the basement livingroom, about 10+ feet away, and it was getting louder over a few days.

It sounded like electrical 'zapping' to me, coming from behind the furnace area, but it seemed to be in the enclosed wall. I called a furnace guy out, and he replaced my furnace switch as well as cleaned the furnace (but not the ducts). Coincidentally I had to replace my hot water tank within a day of that, and then I didn't notice the noise again for several days.

Suddenly the noise start appearing in my upstairs ensuite bathroom heating duct, and it was loud like before. I can hear a hum, similar to the sound of the furnace when it starts, but it isn't starting. Randomly I hear a 'fluttering' sound, like a big moth is trapped. I also hear zapping though too, like an electrical short.

I've gone around to every other vent, and hung around in the basement to see if I can hear it there (while it is going on upstairs). I can't hear it anywhere else ... not even in the vent in my bedroom (about 6 ft from the ensuite) or the main bathroom (about 6 ft the other way).

The only time I notice it, is in the wee hours of the morning, i.e. between midnight and 6:00 am. The house is almost always very quiet, all day, and the only thing that might be different then is that bathroom light is left on during the evening till I go to bed (between midnight and 2:00 am).

I have gone in many times during the day, and even spend hours in the room during the day time sometimes, but I never hear that noise. If I turn out the light, the noise doesn't stop right away (I usually fall asleep before it does)... but if it is bees or bugs of some sort, I would imagine that it would take a while for them to settle down anyway.

NOTE: most bugs are down for the season by now, but it has only gotten to freezing in the last few days. I would think bugs would be dead without access to the outdoors by now though ... it's been almost 3 weeks since it started.

I can't imagine I can shoot some "Raid" down there, even though it is probably 20 or more feet to the furnace, eh?

It really sounds like electrical zapping mostly. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (6)