SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
infohound2006

please help us design a hall linen closet/wardrobe!

infohound2006
14 years ago

I know you folks have thought about this a lot! Please help me figure out how to design a replacement for the awful-quality built-in 'linen wardrobe' we have. It's in the hall by 3 bedrooms, between the stairs and our MBR door. This is our chance to start afresh!

Questions incude, first, the "sensible" things to put there; to help decide how deep to make it; how many deep/shallow drawers, shelves, and whether to leave a narrow tallish section.

What to put in?

Here are our initial ideas:

- in shallow drawers: medicines, both OTC and Rx (we have lots, unfortunately), typical first aid stuff

- deep drawers: towels, extra pillows, comforters,

- shelves: TP from Costco, large liquid soap etc,

?? sewing kit, perhaps sewing machine.

- Perhaps some tall storage for a mop/broom, or gift wrap paper. We'll have a central vacuum (with Hide-a-Hose), so no need for vacuum space.

What else should I think about storing (or not)?

Current plan: The wall is 76" wide. The plan is for two 36" wide cabinets, each some combination of drawers on the bottom and shelving above. One pull-out shelf (to set things down for a few minutes, yet not accumulate clutter). The right edge will abut a narrow, ~25" wall (need to measure it), then a ~15" wide railing looking down a stairwell toward the LR. Depth unknown, as I don't know how narrow wall reveal is reasonable.

Manufacture:

Should we look at closet design companies? (which?), or get a couple of Ikea Pax wardrobes (but would 24" deep work in our space??). Yes, we could do full custom, but I'd rather spend the $$$$ for my home office, (or a vacation), than for a linen wardrobe!

If photos would help, please let me know!

Here is a link that might be useful: GW thread on linen closet depth

Comments (2)