SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slateberry

Claustrophobic stained glass window--repl w/clear glass?

slateberry
13 years ago

Have you ever been on the third floor of an old house and been wowed by the expansive views of tree tops, church steeples, hillsides in the distance, etc? It's not happening at our house. We have 11 windows on our third floor, but many of them don't function well in the view department. None of the windows in the main, southeast room (suspected former ballroom and now my office) have an unobstructed view.

Here is one set of east windows in the main room:

And the same from outside:

I'm hoping to open up the view by replacing the balcony's solid knee wall with an open railing, and maybe having the arched opening surrounded not by solid walls but by fretwork.

Here's the south window of the main room:

The bottom of the window is quite high; about 4' above the floor. So you'd have to stand on a stepladder to get a view out of those (and peer around the chimney). Not much hope there.

The north and west walls just have doors to other rooms.

There is one more east window. This is the one I wanted to ask about (the others were just for context). It's bugged me ever since we bought the house. I call it the "angry red pause symbol" window:

PO in the sixties took a stained glass course, broke out some of the muntins, and put in the pause sign. "What were they thinking" line item 864. My desk is next to this window, and the blocked view is really driving me nuts now, so much so I took out the window to see how I felt:

SO MUCH BETTER!

You have to understand, this is coming from a person who, when house shopping, had to open the curtains and raise the shades of every window in a house before I could even begin to "parse" it and figure out if I wanted to buy it. For me, a blocked window feels like a bag over my head.

Of course, that's just a clear fixed storm in the picture, and with winter coming, I have to put the window back in. But I have Terry Meany's Working Windows book, so I know just enough to be dangerous (just kidding, it's actually a great book). So, I plan to take out some or all of the stained glass and replace with clear panes. (of salvaged old clear window glass) Question is, how many panes should I change?

I could take out the pause symbol and the three blue squares between them, leaving a 3 x 3 clear square. That might suggest taking out 2 x 2 center squares (actually rectangles) on the two side bay windows, although they seem to have the original glass. Plus the colors are just better.

Or I could take out all the color from the center window, and leave the two sides intact.

Or (dh's favorite) I could take out all the color everywhere, and have a clear bay view.

Here is the window from outside:

The only thing I would miss if I took the color away would be how it looks from outside when backlit at night.

Any advice, opinions?

I usually want to preserve the older details in my house, but this one has been 1. tampered with and 2. is so not working for me.

Comments (10)