SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juleecat_gw

Help me with this awkward island please!

juleecat
11 years ago

Time for a kitchen facelift. DH and I are newly retired. We both enjoy cooking- especially family holiday meals, which are served in separate dining room. Four grandchildren ( oldest is 3yrs), 2 of whom visit quite often. (Yay!!!) When we did custom build 10 yrs ago, we swapped island cooktop and main sink placement- I did not want cooktop on island, and still don't. However, the island is cumbersome and the seating is rarely used. Ideally, I would like to replace island with 4'x8' rectangular , one-level island. But this will necessatate lots of changes-electrical outlets/switches, tile flooring, repositioning pendants,etc. There is unfinished basement below, so perhaps these issues aren't as complicated as I think? I am also considering moving the frig to the left of the stove (at the far end of the counter-that counter run is 73" long) and putting a planning desk where the frig is currently located- would be a nice place for ipad and phone charging. There is doorway to dining room to the right of frig, laundry room is on other side of stove wall. There is a large pantry on the end of the stove wall as well. Storage is not an issue at all. Will be replacing frig with SS french door unit, but stove,mw and dishwasher are still functioning fine, so we can't justify replacing them.....yet! Considering dark granite counters, silgranite single bowl sink- we have well water which requires kinetico softener-I drive myself crazy keeping the ss sinks clean (salt spots)! So. Here are a few pix. Would like to stay under $10k.......which may mean new counters and keep current layout and island! The raised breakfast bar is 21" deep-so perhaps just a 12" wide ledge all the way around? What do you think?

I can't seem to post multiple photos, will add below.....

Comments (18)