SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianadarnell_gw

Architectural Soffit Detail- is it really a perk? or not?

brianadarnell
13 years ago

Hello Fellow GWers-

I know that this is the kitchen forum, but most of you are so wonderful at visualization that I felt the need to post. This is killing me and I need to make a decision tomorrow when the framers return...

Long story short- the plans for our new house call for a 5' X 8' soffit (tray ceiling) detail in both the great room and the kitchen/dining room. It won't be used for anything but was added as a architectural detail (so they say). Our ceilings are 9ft to begin with, so I am worried that dropping the soffit lower around the perimeter is going to make our rooms seem smaller. Additionally, we now have another issue where the steel I Beam that runs down the center of the house (Dividing the great room from the kitchen--where the column is) is 3' lower than the proposed soffit. The way the kitchen cabinets are currently designed (and almost finalized) leaaves about 3' to this soffit which makes it look like a mistake.

If I haven't lost you yet, my questions are:

1. should we take out the soffit altogether? I'm worried about the ceiling height and window treatments, etc. And, I am worried about the kitchen cabinets. We could deal with the I beam separately.

2. Drop the soffit to cover the I beam and be flush with the top of the cabinets? and make sure that the soffit lines up with the front of the kitchen cabs, etc...

3. Leave the soffit where it is and wrap the I beam running between the great room and kitchen?

The soffit is the dotted line in the plan. The soffit is being called an architectural detail, but I'm worried its going to look cheap, not special. All opinions are welcome. Photos would be great too, if you have them :)

Comments (9)