SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

Display Shelves for Den / Kids' Hangout

sergeantcuff
15 years ago

I need to figure out the best way to display model airplanes and tanks in this room.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Some background:

I have a smallish 3-bedroom old house. No family room. My basement is okay for toys, building, banging on drums, but not a great hang-out space. My sons and their friends were destroying my living room, so we decided that they would share a room and make the extra bedroom a den for them and their friends. They chose the wall color and this cheap, cheap sofa.

My younger son is extremely interested in WWII and has built many models of planes and tanks and needs a good place to display them as they are very fragile.

Option 1: Open shelving above the sofa (bad feng shui I know). Dark wood? White? Two 4' shelves one over the other?

Option 2: Dark wood bookcase to the right of the radiator? or on the chair wall? (Lamp belongs elsewhere) (boys want a recliner there) Please note room has 2 doors.

Option 3: Dark wood bookcase to the right of radiator filled with books from the living room. Then somehow display the models on a few emptied living room shelves? Which ones?

Living room shelves. Please don't look at mantle. Kit-kat clock is JUST VISITING from the kitchen!

Comments (10)