SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
handust

You've purged, you've organized - how to best store what's left?

Lisa
17 years ago

I am pleased to say that I've made tremendous progress in purging and organizing lately. We recently added onto and renovated our house and while it's not huge, it's more than big enough for our purposes now. I'm tickled pink.

Between moving out and moving back in, I was finally motivated to rid our home of a shocking number of bags of stuff that went either to charity or to the dump. I still have more to go (some boxes got moved before I was able to get to them), but I'm really happy with my progress. I'm a terrible SHE, trying to follow FlyLady in earnest now after many false starts over the past couple of years, but I'm doing well for me.

My question is this: Even after purging, there are things that I would legitimately like to keep. A few mementos, off-season clothing for the family, etc. I'm tired of seeing mis-matched cardboard boxes with mystery contents within. I dream of having a system I read about years ago in the SHE books -- having each box coded with a list of inventory kept so that nothing gets lost in the shuffle.

To me, the best boxes would be some sort of plastic bins that you can somewhat see into and that will protect the contents from dust or other possible damage. But there are so many of these boxes -- has anyone found a brand that they like particularly well? What types of lids would you recommend for long term storage? I rather like the idea of attached lids (we constantly have miscellaneous box lids lying around), but they are few and far between.

I am SO anxious to make a decision and purchase these boxes so I can be done with this stage of my organizing process (for now). I'm hoping someone has a favorite organizing box they can turn me onto!

Thanks!

Handust

Comments (9)