SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pmakulski

Rubble foundation - insulating

pmakulski
18 years ago

I have a 110 year old house. I'm trying to make the basement more usable. It'll never by really usable because the joists are only 6'4", and the heating pipes run through the middle of all the rooms in the basement at about mid forehead level (I have the bumps to prove it).

The parging on the interior has some eflorescence, and where there are some exposed brick or stone, there is some surface crumbling. I had an engineer look at it a few years ago and he said all was fine. There is no noticable damp, no leaking, no mold.

I'd just like to put up some studwalls to make it look better, be easier to clean and to give me something to attach shelves to.

I have read that insulation on this type of foundation is best done on the exterior. But the house has issues on all sides that would make this extremely difficult (driveway, decks, porch, addition). So I'd like to put some insulation on the interior.

Is this a really bad idea? If so why. If not, any recommendations on how to go about it?

If insulating the inside accelerates the moisture wick, am I setting up for major repairs in 10 years? 50 years?

Thanks

Comments (18)