SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Church rummage sale vs. Goodwill

Frankie_in_zone_7
16 years ago

For years I always took whatever clothes and clutter I had mustered up nerve to discard to Goodwill. Would have loved the idea of getting some $$ back from a garage sale, but even I knew that would ultimately not be best use of my time. It's not far out of my way on errands, so I'd take a sack of clothes here, some household items there.

Then I began participating in my church's semi-annual rummage sales. It made me feel even better to make the donations there because the money (not knowing how much of mine, really) went to causes I could see our church doing. Also, I felt less bad about my wasted or ill-thought out purchases that way. But because it is only 2x a year, I have to "save" it up in boxes in spare bedroom, etc. This past month I gathered up a big haul and got it there--always a chore because there's a limited time window for dropping off and it never fails, I will have a tough work schedule that particular week; I don't always mark everything myself, as some of the other ladies do a lot of pricing, but try to mark half or more. So that took a couple of hours, too, and I agonize over that a bit. (What do you mean, $2 for a wool suit!)

Partly what is a bit embarrassing is, a lot of my "stuff" is pretty good! Because some were impulse buys and not worn out, broken or whatever. So, the first time I really participated in this rummage sale, they reported the biggest $$ haul in history! And a near top take on another one. Second, there's this weird thing--don't know if any of you have had this experience--but, I hate the idea of taking a big load of stuff to Goodwill right BEFORE such a sale--then it seems like, why couldn't I have just held on a while.

It is almost like reverse hoarding--it feels good to take a LOT of stuff to the rummage sale, so I feel like I should save it up for 6 mos, and not just go hmm, what do I have this week, the week before the sale, that I might want to donate.

But, I have lots more to de-clutter and feel like I am finally on a roll--I always know or knew that I buy too much and save too much stuff, but it's kind of like finally, duh, I can't take care of all of this in my current lifestyle and only I can pitch it, and I am finally getting to where more is going out than coming in, and I'm not buying things I don't need.

So....as I am de-cluttering, I started putting it in the spare room boxes again, you know? But I'm thinking, NO---one box is okay, but take that box every week to Goodwill--forget the church thing for awhile until I feel more in control. Don't hoard up the discards--get them out. And, it's actually better that the fall sale is just over, because I can say, ooh, I would have to keep this around for 6 months for the next sale.

Anybody have this same issue at times?

Comments (5)