SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Change routines? Clean on Friday night?

Frankie_in_zone_7
12 years ago

I've been experimenting with re-"organizing" how I use my time for organizing/decluttering/cleaning to see how patterns or habits or changing them can help meet my goals.

Recently I made plans to have a friend over for a visit on Saturday. I tried to use some of the weeknights to clean up and get ready, but didn't do too well, until Friday I was able to get home a bit early so had late afternoon and evening, and I did a modest blitz clear and clean of the main areas we would be using, plus a bit more on Saturday morning.

Usually Friday nights are "collapse" nights for both DH and myself. Sometimes we don't get home 'til after 7. Movie and pizza and no plans usually works best. (I have a work schedule that requires weekend work throughout the year as well, so that contributes to minimal Friday night plans.)

However, some weeks are not so hectic. That was the case this other week, and I did not have work on Saturday. So even though I spent my Friday evening straightening and cleaning, I felt I was on my own time, knew if I went to bed tired I could sleep in (a bit) and knew I had the rest of the weekend.

It felt so good to enjoy the relatively nice-looking house Saturday instead of thinking I had to tackle so many things Saturday morning. I did some more cleaning and picking up on Saturday morning but again, it felt less stressful because I had already made considerable progress.

I'm wondering how much of my Friday "collapse" is habit--it's Friday night so I ought not to have to do anything! -- and when it helps vs. not. There would be some Fridays when I might get more "good" out of doing chores from 5- 9 pm and then having more time & energy to do something else on Saturday. Of course, having a goal and deadline (my friend coming over) was an important aspect to get me in gear, but also, in keeping with some of the posts on being "anxious," the deadline can make me more anxious, and I do like to do cleaning without having a sword over my head as well.

When I look at how I and DH spend various nights and weekend days, I see so many "habits" that tend to box me in. I'm interested in re-thinking some of those and mix it up a bit to see if it opens up better energies, different opportunities for what I might do.

Comments (8)