SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Game room organization help needed-major dust trap

Our walkout basement family room is primarily used by my teenagers/young adults and their friends to hang out and play video/PS2 games or watch TV or CDs. We have shelves galore for tapes and CDs, but I'm always finding piles of whatever they played/watched left on the table, exposed CDs not in box or in wrong box and worst, an unnavigable mess. Between kids' personal game systems and the huge DDR pads there are wires from the controllers and from the boxes themselves snaking over the floor area and on the couch. Add the cords from the TV/tape player/CD player electronics and multiprong bar outlets, etc!

The marine tank is in the corner, so I have to make my way over there twice a day through this dreck that is apparently too inconvenient/bulky to pick up daily, We don't have any sort of place to store these "systems" when they aren't in use. The kids don't want to unplug anything if they can help it and there's often an interrupted game in progress. I have a live at home college student with weird hours who plays at 2-3 am, so the game systems are being used at varying times of the day. There's no particular cut-off point.

On top of this, the entire floor of this huge room is linoleum. Mix in one Rough Collie,4 cats and sliding glass doors to the yard--dust bunnies galore that twist around the cords and float under the couch. I can dust mop twice aday and the dust still is attracted to all the surfaces like a magnet. It's impossible to vaccuum up long dog hair that's become twisted around the cords.

We have the same kind of issue with uncontrollable electronics in our adjacent personal computer room with the same type flooring. As I sit here typing, to my right I count 9 cords and to my left 5 heaping onto the floor--all computer related--even more on my son's side of the room. Again--dust bunnies.

I need help on how to make space and order with these game boxes and what to do about the cords and daily dust problems.

Comments (6)