SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miss_mindy

Wallpaper Glue Removal - Long, Please Help!!!!

Miss_Mindy
18 years ago

Please help, I think I've fallen over the edge of wallpaper removal canyon and there is no escape. I can't seem to get all the "glue" off my plaster walls.

Overview: The vinyl coat came off no problem. Next I used DIF gel with hot water and a razor scraper lightly and the paper came off in sheets, lovely I thought I was finished. HOWEVER, there was this other sporadic coating which almost looked like paint but I'm assuming it is sizing or glue??? I sprayed again with hot water and fabric softener and scraped and it helped but I've got blotches which I'm afraid will show through (on places I patched and didn't get all these "spots" off, it did show.)

Next phase was a mix of DIF, TSP and hot water (recommended by the paint guy at paint store) and more scraping, also used one of those coarse grit scrubbers (the green thin kind didn't work). It worked better but I've still got the stuff around.........IS THERE ANYOTHER WAY TO REMOVE THIS *&@%@ stuff? Should I keep using more wet solutions and just keep scrubbing?

I can "sometimes" remove the spots with the edge of the scraper, but that sometimes goes down to the plaster and I don't want patches everywhere? I've tried sanding and THAT doesn't remove the spots, could I use a fine grade steel wool the remove or would that harm the plaster?

I've searched the forums for tips but they only seem to go up to the "glue" stage and then it's just keep scrubbing like some ZEN exercise in patience???

I'll post this in a couple of rooms and keep my fingers crossed (nope, can't do that, I can't move my fingers or my elbow or my legs) Thanks, again.

Comments (11)