SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitdobe

Ceiling fan or chandelier/light fixture???

whitdobe
14 years ago

Hi folks,

in March I plan to paint our family room. I'll also be doing a little "tweaking" of the decor but nothing major since that room is set up to be our lounge area with the dogs. One thing I've been thinking about changing is the ceiling fan. It's white and the other fixtures in the kitchen are antique brass. (Yes, I like antique brass!)

I was thinking about removing the white ceiling fan and putting in an antique brass one with wood blades but #1 I'm having trouble finding one I like and #2 I'll admit that we really don't use the ceiling fan in that room. I retained the ceiling fans in all the bedrooms but, since we don't use it in the family room, I realized that I could replace it with something else.

Well, that realization threw me into a tizzy and I've been crawling all over lighting websites online to see what I would like. It's been difficult. The family room ceiling is 9 feet. I think the bottom of the fixture would need to be 7 feet off the floor so that only leaves me 2 feet of height to work with. If I put a semi flush mount fixture in that room I think it would look to "tiny". If I put some sort of chandelier then I wind up having to find one that's "wide" but not "tall" and, even then, there would be very few links in the chain to the ceiling.

While I liked the idea of swaping the fan for a light fixture, I'm about ready to give it up and stay with a ceiling fan because I just can't seem to find a light fixture that would fit and won't look silly hung so high.

Any ideas? Here's the family room and, since they're open to each other, the kitchen.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)