SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Interior lead paint removed but smell of dust (!)

theresse
12 years ago

Hi all -

I'm kinda freaking out here cause today lead-paint removal guys were here removing paint and appeared to do it properly (plastic up and no sanding - just scraping) but now the house smells like dust - particularly in my son's bedroom and my bedroom. I'm worried about the kids!

I called the local lead line today to ask if it's okay that they're not scraping with water and the guy on the phone said that if it's contained behind a plastic tent thingie that it's fine. But now I'm questioning him. I saw at times the guys coming out of the plastic but I was so busy and distracted that I didn't pay attention to how they went about it (where were they going? Are they changing their shoes? If you have to escape the plastic even to get the vacuum, then aren't you letting lead dust into the room when you come out of the plastic to do so? What about if the vacuum looks covered in dust?!).

I'm hoping I'm over-reacting but I can definitely smell it in these bedrooms. I just now moved my son to finish sleeping in the attic but he's already been in there 2 or 3 hours. I got home late and my husband has a cold and couldn't smell.

What's really frustrating is that the guy I interviewed for the job has barely been here and all these other guys are doing all the work (they look young and inexperienced and can barely understand me when I talk to them). They look like they're doing it correctly in terms of taping up and such but I don't know. Am I over-reacting to the dusty smell? My worst thought is that the kids might have been exposed to less lead if I'd never had the lead paint removed! Did I put them even more at risk? :( Thanks.

Comments (19)