SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xc60

Another Sears Nightmare -Very Long

xc60
13 years ago

I also posted this on the Appliance forum but also has to do with my kitchen appliance so thought I could also post it here.

We are having a home built and it is expected to be finished around the end of March. Back in September we bought a fridge, stove, dishwasher, compactor, and several other items.

We had told our salesman that we were not sure of the finish date of our home but it would hopefully be by the end of February but made sure he knew it could be earlier or later. He said no problem they would hold our appliances till we contacted them and for us to call a couple weeks ahead of when we needed them.

Now our house is only starting to have the tile installed, cabinets not installed till March 7th so we are no where near needing them yet. On Tuesday I receive a call that Sears delivery is outside our unfinished home with our appliances, I thought they had the wrong number. What!?!?

I was shocked, caught off guard and said I would be there in 15 minutes and to wait. Our home is in the country and secluded. When I get there the delivery men are waiting in their truck. There was a tradesman on site who had the house unlocked and the delivery men went into the home without mine or my builders permission and unloaded everything.

I was still thrown off guard they were pushing me to sign the forms because they had 22 other deliveries that day. I said that I did not want to open the boxes due to them being in a construction zone and were afraid they would get damaged unprotected until I actually needed them in a month and a half. I did not want a $4000 fridge....... with a dent.

The delivery man assured me that he had talk to his boss and I could open them later and Sears would return them if they were damaged.

I did not sign the form where you agree the items are in good condition.

I got back to my rental home, called Sears and repeated my concerns about not opening the boxes till later. She said no way, the delivery guy could not make decisions like that and I had 24 hrs to check for external damages and I better open them up. When I said that I had no way to check if my gas stove worked as we don't have gas hooked up she told me to get an extension cord. Duh!!!

When I complained about the delivery men entering the house without permission she said it was fine the tradesman let them in. I said that the tradesman did not have the authority to do that and had told me the delivery men went into and tried the door without his permission. At this point even I cannot enter without the builders permission.

When I complained about not recieving notice or confirmation of delivery she said that our salesman changed the date of delivery a week ago. Our salesman did not even contact us period. I also expressed my concerns that our warranties would also be starting a month and a half before we needed or wanted it to. Then she said that's their policy and I need to call if they are damaged within 24 hrs.

So then I finally had time to think about all of this and the impact, we would have $15000 worth of appliances sitting in a secluded country setting uninsured. Someone already broke a backdoor lock when the house was empty. What if someone steals them? What if a tradesman damaged them while moving them to finish flooring......? We are unable to insure them there, my builder did not want them there because of the liability...... I have nowhere or anyway to move them, what if they got damaged if I did.

I talked to the appliance manager where we bought them telling him I wanted them picked back up and delivered when we needed them. He tried to get me to keep them, I explained why I would not. He said I could leave them unopened and he would promise to take them back if damaged. He then tried to compensate me a couple hundred dollars if we kept them and said that if we had them sent back the order would have to be redone and we might have to wait months perhaps to get them again if anything was backordered. I said that a couple hundred bucks would mean nothing if I had my appliances stolen.

He said he would see what he could do and call me back by the end of the day. Of course he didn't, what a surprise. So first thing the next morning I'm on the phone with the 1800 number wanting an answer of when they would be picked up. Of course they could do nothing until they spoke to a manager at my store and none were in till one.

I finally got a hold of the manager who said they would be picking up our appliances and delivery would be calling me in the next 20 minutes to setup a time. Well 2 1/2 hours later the manager calls back and says pickup will be sometime between 8 and 5 tomorrow (which is now today). So they want me to wait all day in a unfinished house all day without proper heat in the middle of winter. Nice.

The manager told me to call the 1800 delivery number in the morning to see if they could give me a better timeline. When I called this morning the lady asked if they were picking up the items delivered earlier, I said yes. Then she got extremely rude and asked why I had them delivered if we were not ready for them in the first place. I explained that the salesman did that without confirmation. She then tried to blame me again and again. I was like " I don't think so. Their salesman changed delivery date, did not confirm, their drivers went into my house without permission, I've had 3 days of getting the runaround " She started raising her voice and I told her they should be giving me a huge apology and compensating me and I should be canceling my $15000 order. Geesh.

She confirmed delivery between 8-5 today. Then I decided to call the delivery driver since I had his number when he called on Tuesday to tell me he was outside the house. I asked him if he was doing our pickup today he said he was not at the office yet buy would call me when he got there and found out. I said thank you. Well guess what, as if you could believe it!?!? He said the pickup is scheduled for tomorrow between 8-5. What?!?!

So then I once again called the same 1-800 number who told me not even an hour earlier that it was scheduled today. The new operator confirmed it was setup for pickup tomorrow and didn't understand why I was so confused. So once again Sears changed a date and did not confirm it with me, I could of sat there all day today just to do it again tomorrow. The funny thing is Sears only delivers in my area Tuesdays and Thursdays and tomorrow is Friday, hmmmmm?

I should of just told them to load them all back on the truck, darn hind-site is 20/20. I just did not ever have time to comprehend it all, such as damage, warranty, theft.....

Thanks Sears from another happy customer, not.

Thanks GW members if you made it though this post, lol sorry for any typos, not getting much sleep.

Comments (27)