SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thesannie

Enter our home through the... bedroom?

thesannie
16 years ago

Hello all!

I live in Tyler, Tx and recently inherited an antique house in one of the historic districts. I was told the house was built between 1910 and 1930 or so, and still has a lot of classic features (albeit poorly maintained). Over the years of negligence and half-hearted remodeling and maintainange, the lay of the house has probably changed a fair deal. The layout no longer makes sense.

One of the things that I don't understand at all is the placement of the original front door. The porch has been enclosed and was marketed as a third bedroom; the door that divides it from the second bedroom is the original front door, which still has its brass hinges, skeleton lock and glass knobs. The room is almost the size of the master bedroom (which I thik was enlarged at some point... there's a noticeable seam on the wall) and has one door that opens to the living room and another into the hallway (all the interior doors are the originals, if you were wondering).

My question, and I don't know if it's a Southern thing or something, I'm from Philly, but what kind of house has their front door in the bedroom?? Could it have been some sort of parlor room that was converted? Thanks for any and all help as I venture into remodeling my beautiful house!

Comments (7)