SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Hiding a door key outdoors?

alison
14 years ago

Last night during a heavy downpour, I thought I would check the gutters on my new house, to identify the problem areas before I call the gutter guy.

As I pulled the backdoor closed to keep the cats from getting out I realized I had just locked myself out of the house. Haven't done that in a long time!

Luckily (and atypically!) I had my cell phone in my pocket, so as I waited for a friend to come get me to run me over to work to pick up the spare, I thought about how to prevent this kind of jam in the future.

I don't know the neighbors all that well, so I'm reluctant at this point to leave a key with neighbors.

I don't always have my cell phone on my person (and, like most folks these days don't have my friends phone numbers memorized) so just having a key with the folks most likely to take care of the cats in my absence isn't the most reliable solution. (Plus, most of my friends live on the other sides of town.)

At my old apartment, I had a spare key in a magnetic box usually used to hide car keys behind the bumper, tucked in the underside of the fire escape stairs. It always made me a little nervous someone might find it by accident, but that would be less of a problem here at the new house, since I have a security system that is always on at night or when I'm at work.

Do you hide a spare key outdoors? If so, where? I figure under the mat, under flower pots and the like are too obvious -- I'm looking for good ideas!

Comments (27)