SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sksgrad

Help...Show us your decorated double living rooms!

sksgrad
17 years ago

Hello fellow old house owners,

We have a civil war era Italianate home in upstate NY. The living room has a beautiful plaster moulding at the ceiling, a fireplace at one end and 2 large (8' tall) narrow (46" across including trim) windows at the other end facing the street. The room itself is also long and relatively narrow at 31' x 17' and has a visual divide in the middle where there might have been large pocket doors. Despite this, the room is quite open from end to end. The room itself is very impressive but we've had a heck of a time trying to decorate it - every arrangement of furniture looks "plopped" and unintentional.

If you have anything similar, please post pictures showing how you've decorated. Pictures showing a room that is used daily (for TV watching etc.) would be especially helpful. All suggestions are welcome (whether you have a picture or not)!

We are also very interested in window treatments for these tall narrow Italiante windows.

I'll try to dig up a picture of the living room and post that later (right now there is a lot of clutter in the room because we are preparing for a garage sale - otherwise, I would just take a picture now).

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Comments (8)

• alisande
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a living room somewhat like that except it's smaller (14 x 26) and has tall windows on one long side as well as one end. The other end has a stone fireplace. The living room was originally two parlors, I'm told. A timber divides the room. The house is c. 1850, same vintage as yours.

We've always had a sofa, loveseat, and chair on the fireplace side, with the usual end tables and an old bench for a coffee table. Also an oriental rug. I recently got new furniture, and what I hope will work (it hasn't arrived yet) is an entertainment armoire for that side of the room. I hope it doesn't dominate that area, which isn't awfully large. We have a built-in bookcase on each side of the room.

On the other end of the room we have a grand piano along with an antique stepback cupboard and an antique small table by the front door. Definitely a mix of woods: ebony, poplar, and mahogany. A smaller oriental rug sits in front of the piano, under the bench. A tall walnut piece (a narrow hutch?) sits against the long wall between the front door and one of the windows. Oh, and if you can envision this (sorry, no pix yet), the loveseat faces the fireplace. In back of the loveseat is the post (timber) that divides the room. On the other side of the timber is an oak sideboard (yet another wood!). Except for the two rugs, the floors are bare wood. An assortment of artwork: Framed old samplers (made by my mother) flank the fireplace...two large b&w photos are part of the mantel decoration...an oil painting of two of our cats over the sofa...a large b&w photo over the table by the door...a watercolor of my in-law's former home over the piano.

I hope this is a little bit of help, anyway, even without the photos.

Susan

• sksgrad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found some old pictures of our LR from not too long after we moved in and took a couple others today to supplement them (so excuse any garage sale clutter that has made its way into the corners of some photos). I've arranged the pictures in an online album so that you go around the room from North to East to South to West. Hopefully that will give you a good idea of what we are working with here. As you can see we have doors, windows, radiators, and wall protrusions everywhere (e.g., fireplace, room divider, steam pipes, etc.) which also add to the decorating difficulty.

Now that you have the benefit of pictures, not only can you offer advice on furniture placement and window treatments, but also on how to spice up the room (which has a lovely but very subtle wall paper).

Thanks so much!!!

P.S. Susan, thanks for the description of your room. I think bookcases and more artwork would definitely help us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Room Photos

• Related Discussions

Help with double hight living/family room

Q

Comments (29)
    Hey guys! After a couple months, we finished our living room during the summer. You suggestions really helped me! I used Beth’s pictures as inspiration to our living room. I Used the same Chandelier. I knew I needed more light in the room, plus lower the ceiling, so I thought the lights on the walls would help me lower the ceiling, and giving me the lighting I needed. We were really happy with the results. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!!
    ...See More

Need advice on how to decorate living room/dinning room space

Q

Comments (3)
    I would like to begin saying that I love the minimalist aesthetic you have. I’m a less is more person and I don’t like random artwork for the sake of filling walls. With that said, I’d like to see more color warmth on the walls. The buttery white is making it too stark. Have you considered painting? I would try the sectional against the buffet wall to free up the window, and add your teal accents into the window treatment. Eliminate the glass table or move it between the chairs. Add more unique floor lamp lighting near the couch. The buffet can then be moved to the kitchen wall.
    ...See More

Need help decorating my living room using the pieces I have and adding

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi Wynda. You have a nice family room. You just need to have a plan. I find this often: people ask how to decorate, but that is the last step. Here is what I recommend. 1) Find photos of rooms you like. I found this in your ideabook. Notice how uncluttered the room is. If you are seeking this look, you will need to unclutter yours. 2) Create a floor plan. I recommend placing the sofa about where the coffee table is now. Move the recliner closer to the pillar. (Not sure if this would work without exact sizes of furniture and room dimensions). But worth trying. Tv would go on a console table to the right of the fireplace. Not sure there is room for any other main furniture. 3) Finaly step is decorating.
    ...See More

How to decorate Living Room/Dining room and weirdly placed fireplace

Q

Comments (30)
    We will need to be very creative with that budget. But it’s great you are thinking about it together now, because with a master plan you can add items as funds allow. We might want to keep your style to a “transitional” look and rely on accessories for punching up different looks. I would start with sofa, rug and one or two chairs plus a sofa table and arc lamp for living room. What do you need for bedroom? Dining room?
    ...See More
  • jakabedy
    17 years ago

Our living room is 17' x 40'. It goes across the front of the house with four sets of French doors on the front long wall. The left short wall has the fireplace, while the right short wall has a high set of windows. Entrance to the room is down three steps from the hall smack dab into the middle of the room.

Rather than try to make one cohesive seating area out of the thing (a neighbor asked me when I moved in "what are you going to do with the ballroom?") I deal with it in a 40/20/40 format. The fireplace side has a more intimate seating area with a love seat, rocker, oversized chair and ottoman and the stereo equipment in an antique armoire. The window side has the big leather sofa with tufted bench/ottoman and DH's comfy chair and ottoman for viewing of the sitting-in-plain-view 42" plasma.

There is a rug in the center that before Christmas hosted a little Arts and Crafts desk and chair and piles of books. The desk made way for the Christmas tree, and when the tree left the rug became the dogs' wrestling mat, so I never put the desk back!

I've included a photo of the fireplace end and will try to get a photo of the other end. While it seems odd at first, having the two different areas works well. When we have another couple over for dinner, we sit on the cozy fireplace side to chat. But the other side is set up well for the average night in front of the TV.

• winspiff
    17 years ago

In one sense, this is like dealing with a large garden. It is hard to make "rooms" when there are no walls to deal with. However, just like in a garden, the more "rooms" you make, the bigger and better the area looks. A little nook by the fireplace, with a sofa, a table, and some chairs facing the fireplace, would be a great little area ("room") for reading a book, relaxing, and having a glass of something.

You may even need to have three "rooms". One for the fireplace, one in the main area for entertaining, and a third by the end. A piano is helpful, as mentioned, for the third area. Define areas (or "rooms") using carpets, the direction the furniture faces, etc.

In terms of furniture - your area looks a little bare because there are few side tables, lamps, etc. Some dried flowers or something of that nature on top of your table would help create a center. Bring a side table between the two yellow chairs and put something like a lamp on it (yes, the cord is annoying, but you can hide it under the carpet). For the sake of conversation, make sure both yellow chairs face inward, toward the table.

I would personally make the north wall into your TV area, instead of having the TV equipment on your west wall in your entertaining area. A nice bar would be great on the west wall for entertaining guests, and perhaps a mirror to reflect the light of the windows. If you keep the TV armoir closed, it would make a nice piece between the north windows, and would balance the fireplace. Then you can just put a couch facing it, a coffee table, a couple of comfy chairs, and some side tables.

I realize that I am suggesting a lot more furniture than you currently have, but it is probably cheaper than buying a piano. If you do decide to buy this furniture, I have a tip. What seems to be lacking is one overarching and cohesive style. You do have a lot of dark wood and beautiful pieces, which is a good start; so perhaps you could either pick a couple of central colors (like mustard and emerald) from what you already own or a certain period of furniture (harder, and more expensive) and make your future purchases based on that. Don't neglect craiglist, antique stores (even beyond your immediate area), friends, even freecycle. Always ask - you never know who your friends know.

I would also venture to say - and I do hope this does not sound critical - that your sofa doesn't seem to match other parts of your room. This may just be the way the colors look online. However, if you would like to do something about it, you don't have to replace it - they have very nice covers now that you can simply slip on to change the whole appearance of the coach. Again, it seems like your main colors are mustard and emerald, and you could put around some white throws or pillows to help tie in the curtains.

That last bit on color relates mostly to personal style. Overall, I think what would be the most useful to you is to have three sofas, 3 coffee tables, around 6 chairs, and around 3 side tables.

• sksgrad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jakabedy - what great french doors you have (I can see them reflecting in the big mirror over you have over the fireplace). I think we are definitely going to have to go with the more than 1 room idea. It's just difficult to figure out what rooms make sense for us.

Winspiff - do you think there would be a problem with glare etc. if we put the TV between the windows on the N wall? We do have enough room there for the armoire with about 2-3 in to spare and have thought about putting the TV there to separate it from the fireplace and make 2 discrete seating areas.

As far as our furniture is concerned, I don't find your comments critical (except in a constructive way). Much of the furniture you see was never meant to be permanent. My husband and I bought this 3600+ sq ft house not long after finishing grad school and acquiring "real" jobs. We moved from a 2 bedroom apartment and had the task of making this house look less bare. So, really aside from some the the "dark wood pieces" everything else is negotiable! We are really looking to make the room look cohesive and will change color schemes and acquire furniture as needed (once we have a plan). Do you have any furniture color scheme in mind that might go with the blue/silver/white wall paper and moulding motif? We are not anxious to re-wallpaper or paint this room at this point.

• winspiff
    17 years ago

It is always nice to "warm up" dark wood, white walls, blue, silver, etc. These are great base pieces - absolutely beautiful hardwood you have. However, they do tend to be "cold". In addition, those colors are almost colorless, and it is nice to add a dash of color here or there.

To make the room feel "warmer", more inviting and welcoming, and more friendly, you might try going for lighter, warm colors. For example, if you find a nice shade of light yellow - not overwhelming lemon, but a friendly, almost pastel shade - it can convey a great deal of warmth. Red is always popular, but this is a very bright room, and it may look out of place. A pale pink, when done right, is often nice. If you're groaning at these colors now, you're not thinking of the right shade! Any color that feels like it has yellow behind it (instead of blue) will be helpful. You can even find "warm" blues or "cool" yellows if you try, based on the undertones.

It all depends on your taste in the end - but it is always important to think it out and even map it out before you rush into it. Look into magazines where older homes are featured.

Also - what time do you watch TV? If you watch the evening news or movies in the evening, glare shouldn't be an issue. Of course, it is hard to tell unless you stick it over there and see. It's always good to play around with furniture, even if it is heavy.

• winspiff
    17 years ago

It is always nice to "warm up" dark wood, white walls, blue, silver, etc. These are great base pieces - absolutely beautiful hardwood you have. However, they do tend to be "cold". In addition, those colors are almost colorless, and it is nice to add a dash of color here or there.

To make the room feel "warmer", more inviting and welcoming, and more friendly, you might try going for lighter, warm colors. For example, if you find a nice shade of light yellow - not overwhelming lemon, but a friendly, almost pastel shade - it can convey a great deal of warmth. Red is always popular, but this is a very bright room, and it may look out of place. A pale pink, when done right, is often nice. If you're groaning at these colors now, you're not thinking of the right shade! Any color that feels like it has yellow behind it (instead of blue) will be helpful. You can even find "warm" blues or "cool" yellows if you try, based on the undertones.

It all depends on your taste in the end - but it is always important to think it out and even map it out before you rush into it. Look into magazines where older homes are featured.

Also - what time do you watch TV? If you watch the evening news or movies in the evening, glare shouldn't be an issue. Of course, it is hard to tell unless you stick it over there and see. It's always good to play around with furniture, even if it is heavy.

• bulldinkie
    17 years ago

My living room is long,I have 3 windows,a fireplace ,door,2 doorways..It is hard to arrange but what I did was put couch etc where I wanted it then at one end I put a chair and table,lamp where it seemed like 2 actual seating areas and you could go off sit and read.Looks nice.My house is 1700s.