SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

'Watson' on Jeopardy

Jasdip
13 years ago

For Jeopardy fans, mark Feb. 14 on your calendar.

"Watson" the computer is competing against Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter for 3 days.

I'll be watching!

Comments (20)

• alisande
    13 years ago

I'll be watching, too. It'll give me something exciting to do on Valentine's Day. LOL

Thanks for the reminder!

• cynic
    13 years ago

You know the results don't you? :D

• patti43
    13 years ago

We watch Jeopardy every night while we eat dinner. Love that show and can't wait for Watson.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No I don't Cynic!!!!! :O
    I have my thoughts, and I'm thinking machine wins.
    Timing is *everything* with that show, and if they have to push a buzzer, does Watson too?? He'll win everytime if he only has to beep or something and they have to push a buzzer.

• sue_va
    13 years ago

I don't usually watch Jeopardy, and I have to admit not knowing anything about Watson, but it sounds intriguing so I will be watching.

Sue

• socks
    13 years ago

Just bumping this up to remind everyone. I'm taping it just in case I get stuck somewhere.

• gardenspice
    13 years ago

Watson will get the question in text, at the same time the other players hear it. At that point, Watson will compute possible answers and depending on the calculated confidence of an answer, will either buzz in, or not. So, it is very similar to how a human would make the decision to buzz in or not.

• petaloid
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reminder. We're big fans, and are looking forward to this.

• Charlee_MO
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reminder!

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Thanks....I'm thinking Jennings ALL the way! :0)

• jannie
    13 years ago

I'll be watching tonight!

• bee0hio
    13 years ago

Don't bother me @ 7 p.m. tonight! LOL

• gardenspice
    13 years ago

There was an excellent NOVA on Watson that played in my market last week, but if you missed that or want to learn more about Watson, check out IBM's Watson webpage:

Here is a link that might be useful: IBM's Watson

• Kathsgrdn
    13 years ago

Me and the exchange students watched tonight's show. Very interesting. It ended 10 minutes early, though, which was annoying, just 10 minutes of nothing but commercials-grrr!

• gardenspice
    13 years ago

They may have slotted commercials differently here. It did end early, but only 5 or so minutes early.
    When Alex explained that we would see Watson's top three choices at the bottom of the screen, I thought that it would ruin the show, but it actually made it more interesting. It really illustrated the threshold decision making.

• hayjud_mn
    13 years ago

I thought it was very interesting.
    There will be two more days of it.

I enjoyed the explanation of how Watson was developed and tested.

Just look at how much space it takes to house that computer to compare with what the human brain can do!!!

• jel48
    13 years ago

Who is Watson? For those who aren't sure yet...

Here is a link that might be useful: IBM - Watson

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

When are they planning to have Sherlock Holmes on?

When it came to solving mysteries he was a pretty smart cookie.

ole joyful

• teresava
    13 years ago

There was actually a question or two that I got right and Watson didn't! lol Seeing the top 3 choices is kind of interesting.

• patti43
    13 years ago

I hope tonight they play both rounds of the game. Only did one last night because they spent the rest of the time explaining the computer. I'm for either one of the humans--LOL! Although the computer does have a cute little voice!