SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janieful

Advice on baseboards in 1920s home & melding old with new

Janieful
11 years ago

We are currently in the last stages of a bedroom/ bathroom addition on the back of our 1920s bungalow. We have a general contractor who was sensitive to making the addition feel like it was a part of the original home. He is matching the trim exactly, and there are three place where old trim and new trim will be meeting in door frames and window frames that are now becoming pass throughs.

My question is regarding paint. We decided not to match the color of the white trim in the old house with the new. We went instead with a standard white latex trim paint. The color in the original home is consistent but somewhat odd. I can't tell if the paint was originally creamish or if it has just faded over the years. So far I have instructed the painters just to paint the new trim and leave the old to me.

The reason is because the old trim is in really bad shape. Over the years so many people have slapped on different paints and overall done a poor job patching it. It's impossible to clean and overall just bad looking (our house was condemned for a while in the 80s and has had its rough history).

I have no intention of ever stripping paint and staining it. I like white trim. Most of the discussions I see on here are regarding stripping the paint full down to stain. My question is - how much work should I put into stripping the paint down now in order to re-paint it white?

I just can't slap more paint on. It would look terrible. I've tested, and the paint on the top layer now is an oil based paint. So I figure I have two options:

1) find a creamish oil based based and patch the bad parts and accept that it won't match the white that the contractors are putting in. This would also be the lazy option.

2) strip most of the paint down and start from scratch and repaint with a latex trim paint that matches the addition.

#2 would be a SLOW process as I have kids and not much time, but do you think I should do this? We plan to stay in the house forever, and the bad look of the trim is a sticking point for me.

But it is not all bad - the arches and other areas are great. It just certain places on the stairs and in the dining room and kitchen that are just bad.

Would I have to remove the trim to strip it? And I presume I don't have to be so precise about the stripping if I plan to repaint it? Any advice from those who opted to repaint would be much appreciated.

Comments (18)