SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crozzroad

Paper towel holder ? ? ?

crozzroad
14 years ago

Hello!!!

I'm back again, this time with a silly question :-)

I am trying to figre out where to put the paper towel holder in my new kitchen. I'm sure I dont want to put it on the countertop; the other options are undercabinet or on the wall .. We are going to put undercabinet lights, which kind of rule out the first option .. as for mounting it on the wall, I dont want to distract the very little blacksplash space we have ..

Any ideas ? I'm sure many of you have gone thru this before ? Or if you can post your paper pic holder pics , that would be great too !!!

Thanks in advance

crozzroad

Comments (25)

• cawaps
    14 years ago

Ours is mounted on the inside of the cabinet door under the sink.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

I am pondering this as well. We use too many paper towels not to have it readily available, but have decided against a permanent mount on the wall or undercab. Will likely go with something I can put on the counter, and then can swoop it into the lazy susan when I want that "magazine-photo" - "I really don't cook" appearance (you know, next to the coffeemaker, toaster, and dishrack)

• budge1
    14 years ago

We have ours in the same place as cawaps. Just a warning - when I first came to the kitchen forum there was a poster who used the wrong sized screws and the screw came right thru the front of her cab door.

• hgluckman
    14 years ago

We keep ours behind a cabinet door as well. Our reason, though is we have two Bengal cats that LOVE paper towels. This photo is from when they were kittens - they're 3 now, so they can do even more damage:

From HoleInWallGang

The cabinet doors are coming off today or tomorrow to be refinished. We don't know what the boys are going to do to us while they're off.

• plumeriavine_2010
    14 years ago

Why stop at one? We are really happy with two paper towel holders - but ours are countertop. Ours are from SimpleHuman and are the most convenient we have ever found.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I know you said you are sure you don't want a countertop one (can you elaborate why?), but I have to say I prefer my freestanding countertop paper towel holder to my previous kitchen's PTholder that was hung on the wall. I like my countertop one for two reasons: (1) I can carry it with me for those messes that may need several paper towels and are across the kitchen or in another room (I have pets--'nuff said), and (2) the countertop paper towel holder hides one of my backsplash outlets. I installed my backsplash outlets as unobtrusively as possible--low to the counter and horizontally, but I still don't like looking at them. I have the paper towel holder in front of one, coffee maker in front of another, radio in front of another.

I like my Perfect Tear paper towel holder, which has a ratcheting mechanism that doesn't allow the towels to unravel, and makes a small clicking noise that is somehow very satisfying.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perfect Tear Paper Towel Holder

• momj47
    14 years ago

In my old kitchen, it was mounted under a cabinet, not something I considered with my new cabinets. I got a nice countertop holder and I much prefer it, I can grab a towel much easier and move it around the kitchen as I need it.

• olga_d
    14 years ago

We're trying to cut back on our paper usage and do cloth instead, so I keep the roll under the sink (so that it's not too convenient to grab). We don't have it mounted, it's just sitting in the cabinet, hopefully one day we won't use them and I don't want to have holes in my cabinet. ;)

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

If you like things more handmade or crafty, you might try etsy.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

I have the Perfect Tear Paper Towel Holder from BB&B also and keep it on top of my counter to the left of my sink. Although I really would prefer it hidden, I don't have a cabinet that I can put it in.

• zelmar
    14 years ago

We have a drawer full of rags that we use most of the time. I keep a roll of paper towels in the appliance garage for the times we want them.

• crozzroad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow!!! thanks to each one of you for your responses .. so looks like most of you prefer to keep/mounted inside the cabinets ? We too have the same thing now .. it is hung on the cabinet door now. however the metal hardware had caused a mark on the cabinet door. So not sure if I want the same thing to happen to my brand new cabinets :-)

hgluckman - you pic really had me cracking up .. they are really cute :-)

akchicago - as for not wanting the countertop paper towel holder, it is just my personal preference .. i like to keep the countertops clutter free .. but dont get me wrong .. I've seen my friends kitchen who have the towel holder on the countertop and their kitchen are 100 times clen & tidy than mine ! so i think it is more of a mental block

• arleneb
    14 years ago

I have a countertop one, but most of the time it's hidden in the appliance garage -- easy to grab when I need it, easy to leave out when I'm using it, and easy to hide the rest of the time. Someone here said that's how she does it, and I had a huge DUH moment because I'd never thought of that!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I had an under-cabinet one in my old townhouse and even though the kitchen was very small, I disliked having it fixed in one place all the time...no flexibility. I also didn't want it mounted inside a cabinet b/c if I have messy hands that need the paper towel I don't want to have to open a cabinet with those messy hands (kind of like the trash pullout!) Plus, again, it's in one fixed location and cannot be moved to where it's needed.

We started out with just one holder on the counter, but we quickly found that since our counters are 6'6" apart and we frequently have someone working at both counters, having only one was not enough. So, we now have two of the "Simply Tear" towel holders from OXO. I really like that I can take the paper towels anywhere I need them...Baking Center, one of the Prep Zones, Cooking Zone, Cleanup Zone, DR, FR, LR, etc.!

We got ours at BB&B using a 20% off coupon, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere. (Which just made me realize we haven't gotten one of those coupons in a while...I wonder why?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Simply Tear Paper Tower Holder from Oxo

• kimkitchy
    14 years ago

I'm another user of the countertop OXO good grips Simply Tear paper towel holder. Buehl "makes the case", all I can do is second it. I love it.

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

In my new kitchen I will have this scroll holder that matches my utinsil holder from Kohls.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll paper towel holder

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

I have a lot of old silver plate displayed in my kitchen, so wanted something that would tie in. I had a candelabra(5 arm) that was pretty banged up, so took it apart, and made a 'fancy' standing towel holder. I have it beside a small silver teapot lamp, and pitcher that holds utensils. ;o)

• midwifekim
    14 years ago

We have a 50's wall hung chrome thing that holds foil, wax paper and paper towels. It looks groovy (and will be even more so in our 1951 remodel). I also try not to use paper towels (or foil) that often, so the fact that it's not so easy to use is a plus for us.

If I didn't have that thing, I'd probably put it under the sink on the door.

• susie1010
    14 years ago

We also have the Perfect Tear from BBB. Works great. I only like Bounty with no cats or mice on the design!

BTW, we haven't received any 20% off coupons recently from BBB, either. At Christmas, the manager at BBB told me they were going to change their discount methods after the New Year, so I guess we will find out soon. Yesterday, I only had 2 coupons left for 3 purchases and the nice cashier dug one out of the trashcan for me.

• korney19
    14 years ago

Has anybody been to a Famous Dave's BBQ restaurant?

Seen their paper towel holders? hahahahaha!

• scootermom
    14 years ago

Question for those who use a the countertop paper towel dispenser that allows you to tear off one towel easily...do any of you use them with the half-sized paper towel sheets? Does your holder work well with them? I usually buy the half-sheet kind, but when my husband forgets and buys the regular kind, I find myself tearing the sheets in half a lot.

Thanks.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Scootermom - in answer to your question, I use the Bounty "Select-a-Size" paper towels, which I like because sometimes you only need 1/2 towel, or maybe 1-1/2 towels, so I like the versatility. As I noted in my post above, I have the Perfect Tear towel holder (linked above to BB&B). The Perfect Tear holder works equally well for the Select-a-Size or the whole-size rolls.

Korney19 - LOL! I'll link a pic of the Famous Dave's PTholder. Fun in the restaurant, but I wouldn't have one in my kitchen which I spent so much time and money to look beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Famous Dave's Restaurant PTholder

• Lauren Eliz
    2 years ago

This has been my favorite paper towel holder. It’s clean, simple and easy to move if you want to move it around. Also, nicely weighted so it never falls over or in rolls.

KOHLER Paper Towel Holder with Weighted Base, Tension Loop, Quick One Handed Tear, (Fits Standard and Oversized Rolls), White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZKSPOK8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4YT9T6FJ0NVR0J7G5SQM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

I just keep mine on my counter. That way I can move it to where I need it at any given time. There isn;t a good wall space at the prepping station (I'd rather my window there). And being tall, I didn't want to be reaching down into a cabinet.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994