SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
formerlyflorantha

Modified 'shaker' cupboard door: 'Saxony' or similar

formerlyflorantha
14 years ago

My kitchen-to-be is slightly contemporary, but with lots of touches of well, other stuff. No stainless steel and no black appliances. Have consulted with an independent cabinet maker but have become rather attached to the "Saxony" style in Thomasville Cupboards.

What attracts DH is a door which is a "Shaker" style. I wanted either more spare or more decorated. I especially liked the looks of a compromise cabinet door that I saw in a book: three lines of stepped trim at top and bottom where the plywood panel meets the horizontal frame pieces. The Saxony comes close.

What I need from other GW posters is reaction to the general style for my purposes and any background info on this style--when did it first appear in kitchens, does it connect to a particular something in historic time like a certain manufacturer/designer or a cabinet in a museum or what, etc. The Thomasville version has three rounded lines of trim, not the three stepped right angle version of my memory. Have other companies carried the design of my memory and discontinued it or was it rather unique? Also wondering if any of these variants requires a glaze in order to make the ridges stand out visually or if simple finish is sufficient.

There must be other other cupboard door suggestions which are in the same general design direction and other mfgs which carry something on the order of the "Saxony" door.

Any images of a similar style in actual use would be very appreciated.

Thanks (in advance). Florantha

(Please pardon cross-posting on the Gallery forum. Sorry.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Thomasville

Comments (5)