SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilireno_gw

Does anyone have 'The Galley Sink'? How do you like it?

LiliReno
12 years ago

Hi Everyone, Choosing sinks for a brand new kitchen here...

I'm in love with TheGalleySink.com but I'd like to hear some real-life feedback about it before taking the plunge. We would have something very similar to the 5.5 ft. version. How much do you cook? I love the idea of having flexible counter/sink space, but I think I might regret giving up so much under-sink space. Is there anything you would change? Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thegalleysink.com

Comments (178)

• Kathy Feldman
    2 years ago

Price had nothing to do with selecting the Galley sink and faucets.
    My goal was to have quality products in my kitchen no matter what.
    I am disappointed with the faucets and the sink (6’).
    The water pressure is weak, the toggle to turn the spray on is primitive.
    Ive never had a problem with rust in any stainless steel sink before this one.
    An empty can sitting in the sink creates a rust mark that is stubborn to remove, IF you are able to remove it at all.
    The overall look of the sink doesn’t meet my expectations.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Dino at Rachiele or Alex at Havens will walk you through everything you need to know for your 6' sink. The facilities are very close with quality essentially equivalent, so I would price compare between the two. The choice should be easy once you evaluate their offerings based on your criteria. I love my Brizo articulating faucets even more than my sink. Some choices for my kitchen renovation I would do differently had I a second chance, but not the faucets. They are perfection.

• Related Discussions

Does anyone have "The Weed Wrench'?

Q

Comments (7)
    I saw on TV a tool with rotating steel blades. It has several blade sizes I think 3 to 6 inches which you run it between plants to kill the weed and also it could be used for preparing small beds. Might you mean the Original Rotating 48-Tine Long-Handle Cultivator? If so, I bought it, used it a couple of times, didn't like it and it's either hanging in the shed or I gave it away. For those gazillion little weed seedlings that soon emerge in freshly worked soil, I like the Stirrup Hoe. It works well if the soil is still fairly loose, but if the soil is clayish, and gotten hard on top due to rain and then it drying out, it can be quite a chore to break the soil's crust to uproot the little weeds. Sue
    ...See More

Anyone have Kohler Forte faucet - Do you like it?

Q

Comments (3)
    HI, I've had the Forte for 2 years and it's great to use and easy to clean. Have had no problems whatsoever with it. Mine is a Kohler Kohler, not a big box Kohler, so I can't attest to the quality of the big box line. The only feature it, and most at the time didn't have, is a shut off at the faucet head. That would make easy work of filling my coffee maker w/o having to use two hands to do it. How lazy can one get LOL. Otherwise I'm very happy with my choice.
    ...See More

Looking for a dual basin apron front sink 39" 70/30

Q

Comments (7)
    we just got this one: https://www.houzz.com/products/double-bowl-70-30-farmhouse-apron-front-sink-with-strainer-and-grid-prvw-vr~73682752 it's 36" and I'm not seeing a 39" in my brief search but maybe they have a 39" one. I haven't started using it but it looks really nice. 70/30 is hard to find!! I wanted 70/30 in a 36" and only found about 3 options, so I feel your pain.
    ...See More

Does anyone have a fandelier? If so, do you like it? Pros/cons?

Q

Comments (6)
    We lived in a townhome a few years ago that was outfitted in every room with ceiling fans with integrated LED light kits. The light put out by them was green-ish in hue and too dim, especially in the living room. I even called the manufacturer to see if there were any other options for changing out the LED light rings but there wasn’t. So my point is, do the math to see how many lumens are needed to light your room well and closely check the lumens and light color put out by the ceiling fans you are considering. Also consider whether light bulbs can be changed or are they integrated. My preference would be a ceiling fan with no light and recessed lighting to properly light the room. Along with floor lamps and table lamps for softer lighting in the evening. . .
    ...See More
  • Barb Chamberlain
    2 years ago

Another question on this topic: The one thing we didn't like about the big rectangular stainless sink in our last house was the sharp interior corners that allowed gunk to accumulate, making them hard to keep clean. While we want more of a square/sharp aesthetic generally, having the interior corners of the sink rounded to make them easier to wipe down seems like a really good idea. I can't see that in the images of workstation sinks I've looked at. Anyone know if a particular model or maker offers this particular feature?

• Emy Jackson
    2 years ago

its a functional kitchen workstation sink its very useful, you can prepare, serve and clean it is very frequent to use

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Try Kohler, Ruvati, Julien, and Franke for the smoothly radiused corners. I cannot be certain on those, but I do know that the made-to-order models from the smaller companies are going to have the sharp corners due to their welding construction methods. It is definitely less than ideal, but with a brush or Q-tip cleaning on occasion, sharp corners of any sink can be kept clean. If cleaning the sink seems a chore, you really might want to step back and re-evaluate whether you want a workstation sink or not. For people with large kitchens and plenty of countertop workspace, a large workstation sink can be redundant and consume extra time every time the sink must be rinsed or scrubbed clean due to the additional surface area.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    2 years ago

Silverlined -- My Rachiele copper sink takes less than five minutes a week to clean. It handles all the prep work, except baking, so the counter stays clean (baking prep happens on a baking table).. The corners have a small radius (so not ninety degrees). It really depends upon which workstation sink you are refering to.

• PRO
    proximity kitchensystem
    2 years ago

The industry standard is dictated by the National Sanitation Federation. Any manufacturer failing to meet the 5/8” interior radius requirement at all interior corners of a basin is acting deliberately against the best interests of their customer.

The 90 degree interior corner is a particularly egregious example of a lack of ethics in manufacturing.

And laziness.

This is what happens when ”business” people stick their noses into engineering.

These companies shouldn’t be in business.

Yeah, I said it.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Proximity is right, the shallow corner radii of the made-to-order sinks is way less than ideal. My Havens sink (previously a manufacturer for Rachiele) has about a 1/4" radius at the horizontal bent corners and 90 degrees at the vertical welded corners. I may never have another chance at a kitchen renovation, but if I do, I will definitely be considering copper instead of stainless steel for the antibacterial properties (my sink tends to grow pink mold, especially in the 90-degree corners where Q-tip cleaning is routinely required), a smooth interior surface instead of textured (textured on the apron is still great), and seamless inner radii.

• Barb Chamberlain
    2 years ago

Who knew corners could be so controversial? :D You've all given me things to look for .

I want the workstation based on watching them in use in videos and wanting to pick up more work surface (in a somewhat oddly shaped kitchen where we have two people cooking at times; more at https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6178150/kitchen-remodel-what-to-move-where-in-odd-angled-space). Having the cutting board in that space seems so smart instead of taking the counter for that.

Point well taken about the ledges creating additional nooks and crannies that will have to be cleaned. Everything that goes into the sink has the chance to end up in one of those lower corners, which is why I think of them as the bigger cleaning issue on a daily basis.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Julien manufactures out of Canada with 316 grade stainless steel and specializes in workstation sinks. You might look into that brand, as they are known for high quality with everything and may have more rounded corners than Havens and Rachiele. They have wood handles on some of their accessories, but unless you have a lot of water around the sink constantly, you might get by with the wood.

• Maggie Stumpp
    2 years ago

Ok, I have owned mine for years. It gets heavy use as part of a coffee farm. I didnt even consider copper because of the maintenance and sensitivity to acids and hard water. The sharp interior angles on the Galley can collect dirt, but a quick swipe with a scotch pad cleans them. Otherwise, it’s no worse for wear, despite a heavy workout with coffee cherries, acidic fruit, fertilizers and the like. A few errant specs of fertilizer, by the way, burned a hole through the top of my copper clad potting bench and I would never consider a copper sink in a kitchen with all the acids (citrus, wine, etc). I installed two hans grohe faucets, which work fine. i only wish that the kitchen cabinets held up as well as the sink has. i’d buy again.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    2 years ago

Maggie Stumpp -- The copper works just fine with acidic food. It goes back to the original patina in a very short time. Scratches just disappear.

• cabinathome
    2 years ago

ERX - I appreciate your feedback on the Julien sink and the wood quality. Glad to know. I am getting the 36 inch Julien SmartStation with walnut accessories. My countertop depth is 30 inches. I was toldl be a kitchen designer that the sink can be installed with an additional ledge or not at the top. Do you know about that? I don't know how to communicate other than through Houzz.

• Maggie Stumpp
    2 years ago

jerry jorgenson. I guess it just depends i had a 3/32” pure copper top on my workbench ( I built it, so was fussy about copper quality, I can’t speak to the durability of copper alloys) and lemon juice from trees I was working with just burned a hole right through it. I didnt try to maintain a bright copper top, but that would have been a bit of work.

• vpsare
    2 years ago

Has anyone tried a Create Good Sinks Workstation? They look pretty good online - rounded corners, zinc rich steel, dishwasher safe accessories. We are designing a new build and right at decision point for sink and cabinets so appreciate this thread.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

The Julien sink supplier is probably talking about adding a second ledge for a double-ledge functionality. You only need that if you have a lot of accessories you plan to use simultaneously. It will induce additional cleaning concerns to have a second ledge, so I opted for a single ledge with my workstation sink and am happy I did.

Create Good Sinks have a special drain design that can more easily collect gunk underneath, making them harder to clean than average sinks, but that is really only the main complaint I have heard about them. They do manufacture in China, if that is if any interest to you. The steel may be recycled and not 316 grade as far as anyone knows, since the steel source and type is not transparently stated, which can lead to the steel not remaining as carefree in terms of rust and corrosion over the years as one might hope, but we really don't know since Create Good Sinks does not transparently state details of its metal. US-based manufacturers like Havens and Rachiele use unrecycled 316 stainless steel for better performance.

• Barb Chamberlain
    2 years ago

@cabinathome I'm in the planning phase for a remodel and think I want 30" countertops with a workstation sink, probably the same size as you're getting. Do you have photos or drawings you can post?

(More about our weird kitchen at https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6178150/kitchen-remodel-what-to-move-where-in-odd-angled-space. I'm close to posting an updated layout idea to get feedback.)

• HU-426144764
    2 years ago

@Aglitter hi...according to Julien's specs, the SS is 304 not 316 and I can't find anything on their website where they source their SS

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

I believe I had heard that Julien's sinks were 316 stainless steel, so that's really surprising. Are you sure that was straight from the manufacturer and not a reseller?

• HU-426144764
    2 years ago

@Aglitter i was on their website looking at the specs and it said 16 guahe 304 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Wow, thanks! I just looked myself, and I am seeing only 304 grade stainless listed. This makes me wonder if they have downgraded or if I just originally was misled in thinking they used 316 when I researched for my own remodel several years ago. I would no longer recommend the brand based on that. If you are paying top price for a sink where salty substances are used, you want 316 stainless steel to help prevent corrosion.

• PRO
    proximity kitchensystem
    2 years ago

All ”stainless” steels are alloys.

In all cases, ”prime” (not recycled) material, regardless of composition, is what you want. Any manufacturer should be completely up-front about the metallurgy….

304 stainless specifies 18% chromium and 8%-10% nickel. Sinks and commercial worktables usually have lower nickel content Flatware and cookware tend to have higher content. More nickel means a brighter and more durable finish.

316 adds molybdenum, which vastly increases resistance to corrosion AND heat. It is far more expensive than 304.

There is another alloy called ”monel”, which has a higher molybdenum percentage content than 316, and is used almost exclusively in naval applications. It is even more expensive.

I’d be suspicious of any claim of material other than 304 in residential applications

My products are all 304, It is the industry workhorse composition, and is entirely equal to the level of service required.

The important thing is to ensure the matrrial you’re getting is ”prime stainless”. Apparently the recycling process is either not well controlled, or not entirely scientific: If the ”re-mix” is badly prrformed, it “exposes“ some raw ferrous metal, which rusts…

I hope this is helpful.

• HU-426144764
    2 years ago

@proximity kitchensystem the 3 very expensive brands all claim to use 316 - galley, rachiele and haven metal given the price inwould hope they are using what they say they are

• PRO
    proximity kitchensystem
    2 years ago

I would hope so as well. It's apparently easy to see for oneself: https://www.nitty-gritty.it/en/methods-to-identify-stainless-steel/

• HU-426144764
    2 years ago

@Dana which sink did you end up getting?

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Haven and Rachiele both use unrecycled 316 stainless steel by default. The price difference between 304 and 316 is not that big, $100 for a large sink back in 2018 when I ordered mine, but the unrecycled, top-quality stainless is at a price premium, and brands like Kohler, Create Good Sinks, Franke, and others are not transparent about their metallurgy which could be a source of concern for some consumers planning for a long-lasting countertop. The practice of using undermount sinks in modern designs versus the older drop-ins makes it imperative that most consumers select a sink with longevity in mind due to the challenges of replacement. Choosing unrecycled metal hould be a priority where that is concerned.

• silverremodel
    2 years ago

I have a 42' sink from Create Good Sinks. I love their customer service and the sink. I started looking pre pandemic. Now that my kitchen is finally finished, 20 months later, I'm thrilled with it. Great to chop and cut in ...and to clean up. Best decision I made.

• Dana
    2 years ago

@HU-426144764 I went with Galley because it was easiest. I did a phone appointment with Rachielle and unless im missing something, there wasnt a savings and imo not easier getting info. We are going through renovatuon hell and I jyst didnt have the time.

• HU-426144764
    2 years ago

@Dana i also went with the Galley. it ended up cheaper than Rachiele and Haven. i was also able to see a Haven at a friend. The accessories were so heavy. all the decorators i know recommend the Galley and all of their clients are happy

• cristinehoffmann
    2 years ago

A really big difference between Create Good Sinks and the Galley is where it's made. I am tempted to save the money and go with Create Good Sinks, but they are made in China. Whereas, the Galley is made in USA.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Create Good Sinks moved production to the USA a few years ago and ended up with so many quality problems that they decided to return to their overseas production model, or so I was told by a company representative as I recall. The big drawback of Create Good Sinks is the drain design that can trap moisture and mold underneath and be hard to clean. There is also the assumption that the metal could be recycled (sink manufacturers using unrecycled metal usually make that a big selling point, and CGS hasn't in the past advertised the quality). The recycled metal can corrode sooner than unrecycled metal which can be a problem if your sink is trapped under an expensive countertop in an undermounted situation. For a flip kitchen or one only intended to be used a few years, CGS is definitely a money-saver.

• HU-426144764
    2 years ago

@cristinehoffmann i researched CGS but aside from issue of quality of SS, I was also concerned with the drain and the complaints on Houzz about it

• Dana
    2 years ago

@HU-426144764

I‘m glad to hear that because when I was comparing apples to apples I thought the Galley was less also. My husband knows welding and on our 1 hour call, some of the things Rachielle said were b.s. Not that it was wrong, just that what he was saying was standard in welding... hopefully I will get our kitchen done by end of May!

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Dana, when I researched and purchased my sink in 2019, as best of an apples-to-apples comparison as I could do was to put The Galley at the highest cost, Rachiele next, and Havens Metal the lowest. Now, that was due to my wanting an apron front which Havens and Rachiele offer as standard and which The Galley considers a special request with a $1,000 USD upcharge. If you didn't want an apron front, I can see how the prices would be much closer together. I know you'll really enjoy your sink, and I am sorry to hear the renovation has been so problematic. I think a lot of us have run into renovation nightmares despite our best efforts, and problems and delays have been particularly exaggerated by pandemic issues during the last couple of years.

• Christina Olson
    last year

I’ve had my 7 ft galley sink for 6 years and absolutely love it. I had kitchen ideas design my kitchen around the galley. The owner even hand sketched a plan years ago. I wouldn’t change a thing. They were so patient and honest when I called asking about different accessories this week. Galley even sent me free bamboo boards when I had issues with mine. We had a leak so we are renovating. I found this board. Our counterups were not installed properly so we cannot use the first tier. Has anyone had this happen? Galley said the company who installed will have to take the quarzite away to fix it, which sounds like a nightmare.

• Aglitter
    last year

The Galley has published a video for fabricators to show precisely how to cut the material to go with the sink without needing a seam. Quartzite is particularly brittle compared to other countertop options. If you need new cabinetry or the countertop removed for some other reason to fix leak issues, prepare for the quartzite to be a total loss.

• Barb Chamberlain
    last year
    last modified: last year

Create Good Sinks describes their stainless steel on their FAQ page as 304 and non-recycled so the concerns stated above about metallurgy wouldn't appear to apply. I'm about to order one and have been following this thread for quite a while so thought I'd share what's on their site currently at https://www.creategoodsinks.com/pages/faq.

What kind of stainless steel do you use?

Our sinks are made with 304 grade, 16 gauge stainless steel and every sink is carefully hand-welded (by a real person!). The 304 steel is 18/8, meaning is contains at least 8% nickel. Most stainless steel sinks are stamped or drawn, meaning the 16 gauge stainless steel is stretched when the mold is pressed into it. They are referred to as 16 gauge even though they end up being much thinner. Our sinks are not stretched. We start with a flat piece of stainless steel, cut it like a dress pattern, and bend the sides up. Since our steel is never stretched it is much heavier than 16-gauge drawn sinks. Our stainless steel is lead-free, our sinks are cUPC certified, and meet the guidelines for Massachusetts plumbing code.

Where are your sinks made?

Our sinks are made with non-recycled stainless steel from Korea. The manufacturing process for our sinks is labor-intensive with both the seamless drain and half-inch radius corners as standard features. In order to keep prices competitive, we partnered with a factory near Hong Kong, China, who we have maintained a great working relationship with over the years. The sinks are carefully hand-welded, securely packaged, and shipped to our warehouse in Cincinnati, Ohio, where every sink completes a thorough inspection process before they ship to you.

• PRO
    proximity kitchensystem
    last year

@Barb Chamberlain - re: your comment on blog posts, I'm currently working on 26 of them...and I'd be interested in talking to you about that: what you found helpful about the ones you've read, what you'd like to see etc. If you're up for the conversation, please feel free to call me on (480) 298-1616. (A/C is Phoenix, I'm in Venice, CA)

• Aglitter
    last year

@Barb Chamberlain I think it is great that Create Good Sinks has become more transparent about its manufacturing and metal sourcing, which is something that has happened in just the last 4 years since I researched for my own remodel. My suspicion is that posts here at Houzz may have influenced that move on behalf of CGS since prior to posts here at Houzz that discussed the difficulty of finding out details about CGS, that level of information was unavailable on its website. CGS did not offer an apron-front model last I checked which puts The Galley, Havens Metal, and Rachiele ahead of them for someone who wants that style. Also, several reviewers have said that despite the "seamless" claim of the drain, there actually is a seam, just underneath which makes it easier for debris to build up and harder to clean. Also, The Galley, Havens, and Rachiele also manufacture all stainless steel sinks in 316 stainless steel (not 304 like CGS) which provides an added barrier of protection against salty fluids that can more easily corrode 304 stainless steel.

• cristinehoffmann
    last year

I decided to go with Create Good Sinks for our bar area. The decision wasn't based just on cost. For whatever reason, they design sinks so a bare minimum cabinet is required. I went with the 19" sink for a 24" cabinet. It will be installed later this summer/fall. In the future, will update all on whether we like it. Kitchen is next year and if we like the bar sink we will use CGS again.

• audreysarn
    last year

I have two Galley sinks and I am so diapointed with them. I would love to remove them, but I cannot without destroying my counters because of the way these sinks mount, which is different from most kitchen sinks. Just be aware, that when you purchas a Galley sink, it is permanent unless you want to redo your counters too.

What I don't like about them is how messy they look. I have a busy household, so lots of dishes and every time the water is turned on, it spots the sink unless I hand dry it. This is impracticle for a busy home. Food sticks to the sides of the sink easily and the corners are very hard to clean. Also, the ledge where the boards rest, gets wet because of dish washing so the caulking breaks down easily and there is a moldy rim around the edge of the sink becuase of this design. (I had the caulking fixed within a year, but it happens in a matter of weeks) . I contacted the company and they sent me a product to clean it, but the product was like other products I can buy and the problem is the design and the materials. The company also comes acorss as uncaring and poorly skilled when dealing with customer disapointments. I had a stainless steel sink before and never experienced it looking like this, I actually liked that sink. Also, their bamboo boards broke down very easily. I had new boards made out of walnut and my new boards have lasted two years getting wet daily, with no extra drying from me and they look great. I think Galley sinks wants to be this fancy company but it's just cheap materials, cheap product, cheap customer service. Again, I wish I could remove them, but I cannot without destroying my counters and my counters are so expenisve that I am stuck with these horrible sinks. Good luck with your house remodel!

• Chris Vaughan
    last year

Thanks. The sinks that I've found that I like a bit better than Create Good Sinks are from Nantucket USA in their Pro-Series. Their design is MUCH better than Galley or CGS. On their design, the first ledge is lower than the top flange of the sink, rather than using the top flange reveal "ledge" as the top ledge. That way, water doesn't collect on the reveal edge and destroy the caulking. I also like them better than other workstation sink companies (Ruvati, Karran, Kraus, Kohler, etc.) because of the front to back depth of the sink will accommodate 1/2 sheet pans, just as the Galley does at a fraction of the cost. For example, i"m buying two 36x20 double-ledge sinces, retail is $1,099 each, but you can buy them at Lowe's for about $850 each. If I decide to go with a wider island, then I'll substitue one of of the 36x20 sink with tehir 60x20 double-ledge sink. Do I like the seamless drains that CGS has? Yes, but there are documented issues with mold occuring around the clamp that secures the garbage disposal to the sink. BTW, Elkay now has their version of the seamless drain!

• TXGuy
    last year

@Chris Vaughan The Nantucket sinks do have the better ledge design, but most of them have center drains and they don't offer any large models, unless I'm missing them.

• Chris Vaughan
    last year

Their large sizes are 36x20 and 60x20 and you can get them with center drains or the drains to one side or the other.

• TXGuy
    last year

@Chris Vaughan Thanks for pointing out the 60" model. I probably overlooked that because I was focusing on apron front designs, and it appears the largest apron front model is ~32". Unless there is an option to change drain placement, i stand by the comment that "most" have center drains. If there is an option to change the drain placement, please do let me know. They still won't have an offering suitable for my kitchen, but that may open up possibilities elsewhere in the house.

• Chris Vaughan
    last year

It's hard to find apron-front sinks with the drain to the left or right. That's true of most of the manufacturers.

• TXGuy
    last year

@Chris Vaughan Agreed -- that's why I'm probably going to end up with a Rachiele or Havens, but I'd love to find a less expensive alternative.

• Chris Vaughan
    last year

Good luck! Those are first-rate companies, but unfortunately, very expensive. I've had good chats with Dino Rachiele.

• Christina Olson
    last year

I love my galley sink. We have a 7 ft galley we have utilized for 7 years. I do have a separate clean up sink. The only thing I don’t like is how the bamboo boards turn black. Galley sent me new ones at no charge. However, I purchased the black boards that I love so far.

• Wallace Wong
    7 months ago

We got a 48 inch basin. A few days after we start using, rustic spot started coming up. We asked the reseller about it. They sent us rust remover. It worked and then the rustic spot came back in a few days.

The galley is the most expensive sink we have purchased with the worst stainless steel quality. Big mistake.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert