SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mybrowneyedgirls

Removing big ugly light box from texured ceiling

mybrowneyedgirls
15 years ago

Hi,

Does anyone here have experience with removing the large flourescent light box from a textured ceiling? The ceiling texture is the type that looks like it was slapped up there with a small mop, if you know what I mean. Sort of a flower/star pattern. (sorry no pics, but hopefully you can picture this). The house is almost 8 years old, and the big box has been on the ceiling since it was built. I am concerned that when we remove the box (to replace it with a semi-flush fixture) the area where the light box was will look much whiter and cleaner than the rest of the ceiling. I really don't think that this type of ceiling is paintable because there is just so much texture. Even if it is paintable, it is not a project I'd like to take on!

Has anyone removed one of these before, and what can I expect to see under it? I am almost sure the ceiling is finished underneath (it better be!). I know I'll have to have some screw holes patched. Am I getting into something too difficult? I really hate the big ugly box, so please tell me this is do-able!

Comments (4)