SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mollybrowno

Bathroom floor finally leveled, BUT...I'm so depressed.

Molly Brown
15 years ago

Look what happened ! In our 1820 house, a bathroom remodel is in progress. The floor was not level, out previous toilet was tilted, left to right, and the tub and vanity were shimmed quite a bit and the shimming covered with ugly rubber cove molding. This was 30 years ago.

Now, after doing a year of research into what toilet, tub, vanity, tile, counter, faucets, vents, heaters, etc. etc. etc I wanted I was all excited to finally do this.

The contractor says, 'we'll level the floor for you.' OK, sounded good.

Our bathroom is actually like 2 little rooms, one the main bathroom and the next one, carpeted with the closets, is like a little dressing room that opens up into the main hall of the cape.

WELL, AFTER the leveling and a heating pad and porcelain tile installed, we are now 3 1/2 inches higher in the bathroom than the dressing room!!!!!!!!

NOW WHAT???

I am heartsick about this. I'm used to walking thru that room for 30 years without thinking about it, and now I have a STEP !!!??

The contractor wants to put in a wooden ramp. yuck. It will be a rather abrupt ramp as it can't interfer with a closet door opening. Here are some pics. WHAT WOULD YOU DO??? I want to throw up.

Height difference. The piece of tile is just there to envision what a ramp might look like...

">"

The right side of the opening between the two rooms to show where the closet door is and has to open....

">"

The other end of the dressing room as it joins the main hallway....

{{gwi:1457005}}">"

HELP! I don't like the ramp idea, but I'm afraid about killing myself on a step.

What would you do?? Thank you !

Comments (10)