SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

Buying/Removing/ReInstalling (Reclaimed) Flooring

navi_jen
9 years ago

So, I'm browsing the internet last night to see what kind of sticker shock I'm going to be in for when I put down new HWF downstairs and patch the upstairs (stupid PO & their cats). Good lordy..$9 bucks a square foot for heart pine. Ouchie. I'd been debating tearing up the HWF upstairs as there is still a bit of cat smell at the Smelly house...guess not!

So I switch my search for pretty garage doors. They ain't cheap either. Double party foul.

Jen quickly turns her search to ebay and CL to see if folks sell used garage doors. Nada. However, I find a potential lead on a potential teardown. Could this be the 1 in a million and I can snatch the wood before it's torn down? So I send an email, thinking what the heck, no harm no foul, right?

Well, I get an email back today. It IS a teardown, but the floor is already gone. Bummer. However, they have another house in a seriously big money town nearby with 3k feet of red oak...and he's happy to show it to me if I would like it.

Holy crap! Have I hit the jackpot? So my question for the GW team is:

First off...what kind of wood is in my house? (in case I need to match/patch)

Secondly, for the Red Oak House:

1. How do I determine how much 'life' a HWF has it in? (I'm assuming it's the remaining height of the individual wood pieces?)
2. What's a reasonable price (per sq ft) to purchase a red oak 'tear up'? (and remember, I'm in Boston, where everything is super duper expensive)?
3. How much extra should I buy?
4. I think I would kill myself trying to do this solo. Any ideas on getting helpers (no way my friends will do this...too backbreaking & they already think I'm nuts)
5. What is involved with having a HWF guy install and refinish a HWF that I salvage? Are they going to be ticked that they aren't getting the material cost markup???

Thanks SO much!

Comments (3)