SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rufer_gw

Lead Paint and Pregnant Wife in Old House

Rufer
11 years ago

Hi,

Long time researcher of these forums--first-time poster.

My wife and I recently purchased a nice old house in Washington DC. We haven't moved in yet and are planning to get renovations done before we do so. My wife is 5 months pregnant with our first.

Had an RDX lead test yesterday and am awaiting the final report but received word that there is lead paint throughout the windows, trim, baseboards, a radiator, and doors and casings on the top two floors.

I am now trying to decide how to proceed. We have old windows that could be fully functional with enough effort and time (which we don't have). I would hate to replace all of this nice old stuff but as I am typing this I am thinking it may be the best option. Particularly with regard to "points of friction". Maybe the doors can be salvaged but I am thinking no on the windows.

I am freaking out now (as I am sure most first-time parents are at this stage of the game) to even have my wife visit the house now. Had the carpets ripped up a couple of weeks ago and have yet to clean up any lingering debris which could (must?) contain lead in the dust.

Looking for opinions. Thanks.

Comments (28)