SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marthaelena_gw

Your Canvas - My Guest Bedroom

marthaelena
13 years ago

Hi,

I hope you guys can help me out with your great suggestions.

We are having visitors in March and then again in May. We usually do not have visitors so I am so excited of giving our guest bedroom a cozy touch.

In your opinion, what would you do if you had about $800 to update this room.

Bedding?

A new Queen headboard? (the brass one use to be my DH's bed when he was single)

Art?

Nightstands or small tables? Lamps?

What element have to go?

The bedding on the bed is one of the few I have for my king bed.

Hope you have inspirational pictures. I should mention that the only layering I like is on the bed - I like a clean effect but cozy in the same time. We could also change the paint color (now it is SW believable buff) or add an accent wall.

TIA!

Comments (43)

• rucnmom
    13 years ago

I think I'd start by putting the bed under the window - easier for two people to get in and out and better TV visibility. How about Rub and Buff or some such product on the headboard in a bronzy tone?

• amysrq
    13 years ago

My feeling about guest rooms (and powder rooms) is that they are a great place to go a little wild with color. It is kind of fun for your guests and you don't have to live with it everyday. I would initially think about a color direction and then see what you can find to support the look.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the bedding was the couple threads we've had here lately about incorporating existing elements of teal and seafoam into liveable color schemes. Lots of good pics on those threads. I think one of the Ben Moore Historical turquoise colors (Palladian, Wythe, etc...) on the walls would be gorgeous and would work well with the carpet, bedding and even the brass bed. It is a variation on the classic blue-and-yellow theme.

I'd love to see you use what you have now (bed + bedding) and spend on functional elements like nightstands and reading lights. A fab color on the walls will give you more leeway with less art. Find one or two large pieces and call it a day. Something to soften the windows would be nice, but I'd look at the wall color choice first.

• Related Discussions

Small Guest bedroom makeover so far....update

Q

Comments (28)
    @Allison...I dont really have a preference for the bedding, we just moved into a new house and that was one set I had which was complete :). I can definitely change it. @ingrid...thanks for the suggestion about the pillow...that is exactly what I was thinking, something orange which goes with the flower. Unfortunately I didnt get to see the flower in the store, its online only....so I might have to take the risk of buying and returning if I dont like it. Cooks.
    ...See More

Guest bedroom - need objective opinions

Q

Comments (15)
    It's good that you're adding wood in other places. If you want to stick with upholstered, I'd go with white. That way, if you ever want to paint or change artwork or colors, you've got a neutral base to start with on the nightstands and headboard. Are there knobs for the nightstands? World Market has some that are really fun and could give them a little oomph. Or these agate knobs from Etsy are lovely. https://www.etsy.com/listing/628023444/soothing-sea-blue-agate-stone-knobs-with?gpla=1&gao=1&utm_campaign=shopping_us_owlkraft_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=13943125&gclid=Cj0KCQjw753rBRCVARIsANe3o46MuyBdhI1FZYSxmcbusbAB5EsHpny0pbx4j5vsFQhD03avN4RZP44aAkKdEALw_wcB
    ...See More

HELP elevate my 'modern' home office / guest bedroom!

Q

Comments (16)
    Regardless of forever home or not it would make sense to utilize the closet better for all of your 'office' stuff so if that means getting an outlet put in there so the printer and all your stuff on the tall shelving can go in there - that would be wise. Then, daybed or not, replace the tall shelving and nightstand with a continuous low closed storage furniture piece - maybe like this photo - this will open up the room visually. This furniture piece can function as a nightstand and office storage. Closed storage is your friend in this space. Replacing the closet doors with slider doors would allow for the 'office' to function easier. Maybe the inside of the closet is converted to half 'closet' for guests use and half 'office' with shelves for printer and office supplies. Then, once you decide on daybed or not I'd repost an updated photo and we can help with rearranging art. I think where you have it now is not doing the room any justice. I could see it consolidated/edited on the wall where the tall shelving is as that will create a focal point.
    ...See More

Help me finish my guest bedroom

Q

Comments (40)
    @sparkleivy, it's a beautiful and cozy room. I agree that the lamps are short, and since they stay...maybe stack some books under them to add height. Guests could even grab a book to read from the stack..... As for the plants, I think if fresh plants aren't your thing silk plants do attract dust. I don't have them in my house, maybe try succulents, they are pretty easy to grow. I agree with fresh cut flowers for when guests arrive. That wall across the bed doesn't need much, and if space is limited what about some fun ornamental hooks, that guests can use for shirts, hats, jackets? These were just an idea. The tree ones look fun, and earthy and are an interesting design all on their own. The birds were whimsical and may not be your thing, but just thought these wall hooks could be both pretty and useful.
    ...See More
  • franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

One of the things I struggle with is color and pattern, and I think that's what this room needs. The bedding is lovely, the wall color is nice, but it's all sort of neutral and bland.

I would add small bedside tables with lamps, window treatments of some kind, and some sort of (bigger)art on the walls (framed prints, photos, painted canvas, fabric, something).

You could keep everything you already have, and just add in elements that bring in some accent color, and a little pattern and texture. I think you have a very good start at having a fabulous room, but it just needs a little tweaking.

• catkin
    13 years ago

What style direction are you leaning toward? Do you like traditional, modern, eclectic?

Definitely add a mirror over the low dresser and maybe a real green plant or two, a throw for the bed and closet space. For sure night stands/lamps and maybe a small easy chair or rocker.

The sky's the limit!

What colors are you thinking of?

• suero
    13 years ago

There's not much to add to Lynn's list, but if your guests have allergies (mine do), down alternative pillows and comforters are a must.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Fantastic ideas from Lynn! :)

I would add that we hung full length mirrors (from Target) on the back of main doors on our two guest bedrooms -- easy for folks who need to "get close" to see their hair or makeup! (like me! LOL!) You might consider adding them to the back of the closet door ...

Yes -- another vote to re-arrange and try the bed under the window.

Check your local Craigs List for a queen headboard. Add a couple of small night tables.

Try to find lamps for each side of the bed. And a taller larger lamp for the dresser too. (very pretty dresser BTW!)

IF your room is warm -- you might want to consider adding a ceiling fan (with lights) -- makes a guest room much more comfortable!

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

To add to Lynn's great list...if you have a television in the room, a list of your local stations or a TV guide is nice. For me, a fan is a must. It doesn't have to be a ceiling fan, but I need something to move the air around. Also, a bench or a folding suitcase stand so that your guests don't have to put their suitcase on your bedding. Also, it's nice to have a place to sit down and put your socks and shoes on.

FYI, I keep an assortment of pillows in a quilt protector bag in the guest room closet. Some people need firm, some soft, some down, some latex, etc. I put pillow cases in the drawer and let the guest take care of that aspect of their bedding.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

Lynn's suggestions are great. I also add some magazines and a few books that are easy to skim through. A fan, either a ceiling fan or a table or stand fan, will be welcome by many people.

After you get your guest room all set up spend a couple of nights there. I did this and discovered that my bedtable lamp was horrible for reading and the ceiling fan made a clicky noise.

• syllabus
    13 years ago

The first thing would be to find a piece of art you love, or bed linens and let the room evolve from there. Do you have any inspiration pics saved that would help show what sort of look or feel you are wanting to achieve?

It looks like you have silver toned door knobs. You could spray paint your existing headboard with a hammered silver or brushed nickel paint. Or any other color for that matter! Lyla of The Lettered Cottage blog sprayed her inexpensive metal headboard with ORB paint.

While I like the idea of moving the bed to under the window, it does not look like there would be enough room for a small bedside table on both sides. And maybe the closet door would be hard to get open, too.

So leave the bed where it is. Paint the shiny head board finish something else, and find bedding that you love. Pick a new wall color that will compliment the bedding, or find bedding that goes with the color you already have. Find drapes that can hang from either side of your great window, but be easily closed if your guests want the room darker for sleep.

Your pictures on the wall are rather small and scattered. I would suggest either grouping them together in one area, and/or removing and finding some other pieces of art. Do you want a mirror over the dresser?

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

It's obvious from the suggestions here for a great guest room, that we've all spent nights in less-than-comfortable guest rooms ;^D

I have another suggestion, although it's not about the decor: if you have a dog or cat (and most of us do), try to keep them out of the guest room. Several of my siblings and both of my children are allergic, in varying degrees, to pet dander. Their allergy meds work well enough most of the time, but they find it hits them hardest when lying down trying to sleep.
    Lynn

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I think you've already received many excellent suggestions. In terms of decor, I second the ones to try a new paint color, add WTs, small nightstands, lamps, and Rub 'n Buff on the brass bed. I would also have a place for your guests to place their suitcases. I would pull out the bed for easier access for two guests; only put under the window if putting a nightstand next to it would not block closet access.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I would be happy to be a guest in that room because it looks clean and comfortable already. I'd darken the headboard either by painting or rub n buff so it stands out against the wall a bit more. The color on the walls is a nice neutral and looks to be in good condition, so I'd leave as is. I can't tell if you want to get new bedding or use what is there. If keeping, I'd get some really nice sheets in a contrasting color/print of your choice that would bring some drama to the bed. Add some decorative pillows to coordinate. If the bed can be scooted over a bit for a small table on both sides, I'd do that, too. If there isn't room enough for a table with lamp on both sides, I'd put one where I could and add a wall hung reading lamp on the other (or maybe on both sides if you like symmetry). Sometimes a small shelf next to a bed in a tight space works for a glass of water, reading glasses, etc. I think peoples' suggestions for a couple of large art pieces is just what you need, along with a mirror either over the dresser or on the back of the door (or on the inside of the closet door for a full length).

I thought this page had some great ideas for colors to go with your neutrals, from chocolate to blue to dark green or burgundy, depending on your preferences.

Here is a link that might be useful: Layered up beds

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

OK, here's one suggestion that does have to do with the decor: I think that your future guests would appreciate a new or different comforter or bedspread that is more user-friendly. The one you have now is lovely, but I for one would not be comfortable lying down on it for a nap or to sit and read on. If I were your house guest, I'd fold it back and it would more than likely slide off the bed and onto the floor, then and in the middle of the night. And, just like most hotels have discovered, guest like knowing that the bedspread is washable . . . and that it gets washed frequently. For my guest room, I've found that a matelasse or something similar works wonderfully. I wash mine before every new guest arrives. Matelasse just gets better and better with each washing and makes a comfortable blanket to sleep with, too.
    Lynn

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Not knowing the climate where you live, I would suggest some sort of coat rack to hang jackets, or wet gear (whether you live in a snowy area, or a hot climate, a place to hang wet bathing suits, towels, etc. We visited my BIL/SIL out in Wyoming/Idaho in the fall. That time of the year out there produced snow a few days and we did many outdoor activities during our stay. A coat rack with several "hooks" was an extremely handy thing our "gear" that we didn't want to leave in a common area of the house.

I do like some family pics in a guest room. Also, some coffee table-type books depicting your city, a newspaper or guide of things to do along with a few magazines.

When we have guests, I put new toothbrushes, toothpaste and a few other tolietries that may have been forgotten. Depending on whether your guests have access to a private bath, I usually stock our guest bath before our guests arrive. Nice fluffy towels, wash cloths, hand towels, bar soap, feminine products, acetaminophen, razors, liquid hand soap, things like that. If your shower curtain liner is at all ragged, I would replace it with a nice clean clear liner.

Extra pillows and blanket in the top of the closet if you have shelving. Lots of good hangers.

I wouldn't worry about paint so much. I would spend my effort of making sure the guest room is eat off of the floor clean.

Invest in a comfy headboard, a couple of nightstands, two lamps - items don't have to be new, check your local CL or other used source or pull things from another room in your home.

Definitely new guest friendly bedding. The matalese is a good suggestion. Have to agree that your current bedspread would make me nervous as a guest.

All in all, I just try to anticipate my guests needs and make sure the guest room and guest bath are perfectly in order and clean upon their arrival.

We have a suitcase rack in our guest room so that if a guest is only staying a few days, and doesn't want to fully unpack their suitcase, it can sit up off of the floor for ease of access.

Some sort of clock with an alarm for the night stand.

I like many of Lynne's suggestions, sorry if I've been repetative, I quickly glanced at the suggestions, didn't read them as closely as I would have liked.

Most of all, enjoy your time with your guests!

• susanka
    13 years ago

I also think Lynne's suggestions are great. Think of what you'd want as a guest and go from there. An inexpensive vertical mirror on the wall behind the door, as someone suggested, would be far less expensive than a mirror large enough to hang above the dresser. And that way your guests can see themselves head to foot.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Personally I think you have a great start. With $800.00 to spend I'd look for a "new" queen size bed on CL with head and foot board so there's very little worry of the bedding sliding of the foot of the bed. Matching night tables and lamps that would be great too.
    If you have guests often I'd also spend some of that money on a bit larger flat screen TV to ad to the wall above the pretty chest of drawers and a DVD player, moving the chest to the wall at the foot of the bed for better viewing. If I'm visualizing correctly that should leave you enough room for a chair in the corner where the chest is now.
    My guess is you already have a ceiling fan since I can see what appears to be the pull chains.

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys are awsome! Thanks!
    Blessings to all of you for taking the time to comment

rucnmom,
    I am not totally happy with the placement of the bed.
    I think it is a bit odd when the headbord is placed against a big window, I prefer it to be placed against a solid wall (unless the window is high) -nless there is no other option.
    I will consider the Rub and Buff suggestion for the headboard.
    Thanks

amysrq,
    I will consider your suggestions. Maybe something like this pic (BM Buxton Blue), a similar one or those that you mentioned. I am not sure I want to paint the whole room. Maybe an accent wall? Yes, looks like I will need 2 small nighstands and lamps.
    Thanks!

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Franksmom,
    Thanks a lot! I am taking note!

Catkin,
    I'd say a bit eclectic and clean - not too traditional, Maybe a mix of pottery barn and crate and barrel if such thing is possible :) - Thanks!
    I'll comment about the mirror later!

• suero
    13 years ago

My guests usually have a lot of electronic equipment with them, so a handy spot to recharge their batteries is useful, as is Internet access.

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

If I could get the cords on my Pottery Barn sconces to hang like the ones in the picture, I would be happy :-) /hijack

I am taking note too - currently thinking about the guest room which is also our home office. Personally, I'm finding it hard to marry the two functions, but since my mom uses the computer quite a bit while visiting, I don't want to move the office into *my* bedroom.

I like the last image you posted. I always want to imagine a guest room that is just a touch more luxurious than my own room (back home). Something homey, but boutique-y feeling.

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lynn,

Thank you so much, love your comment (and everybody's else) - Everything has a lot of common sense

I think I will need a Check List so I will start it now! so far I am convinced that I need / or I will do my best to get or include:

-Bedside tables
    -Kleenex (DH always have those)
    -Lamps
    -Maybe a couple of coasters
    -2 lamps (if tables are too small maybe I get something attached to the wall)

-headboard??? When I started this project, I thought the headboard was the main thing (I will post a pic of what I had in mind - now I notice that there are priorities - I hope I can do something about that.
    -Mirror (maybe) unless is inside the closet, I will explain later. The guest bathroom is right next door and has a full mirror.
    -Some wall art. I think you are right about the photos. Maybe I will place the pics of my niece only for her visit in May.
    -Hangers, space, few different pillows, extra blankets, small flashlight - I already have all of those and nicely organized in the closet. I also have the nightlight.
    -I'll consider the extra iron, not sure about the ironing table but it is a great idea, just that the closet is not that big. Maybe I just have to advise them where the laundry room is so they can use it if needed.
    -I usually have the spare hairdryer in the bathroom vanity.
    -Maybe I will give them a set of keys

No, you do not sound like the guest room police! I want everything to be nice for them since they are one of my favorite cousins and her husband and my favorite niece - it's their first visit and they live overseas.

About the bedding -yes! Although I prefer the clean look, when is about a bed, I love the ones that feel comfy and cozy. The good thing about the white is that you can update it adding color or make it more feminine, masculine or neutral as needed depending on the guests.

Please, see the link below and do not miss the video

I am trying it to be mostly white, specially if I manage to add enough contrasting colors in the room - if not, I want to add a touch of color and texture like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: The All White Bed

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Suero,
    Thank you!
    Luckily, the down alternative price is lower than the down!

Teacats,
    I like the idea of the full mirror on the back of the closet door - Thanks
    Not that I am superstitious but I kind of agree with the feng shui guidelines about mirrors - I do not follow everything feng shui - but I do think that there is an art in the placement of things to make our life better.

Forhgtv,
    We do have a ceiling fan and I am taking note of the chair or little bench. Thank you

happyladi
    What a great suggestion, I will "try" the room myself or ask my picky DH to spend some time there, thanks!

syllabus,
    I have to select some wall art and yes, we have to surround ourselves with items we love.
    This is the headboard I had in mind, I am not the kind of person that fall in love at first sight but when I saw this headboard I kind of did, the only thing, it will be about 500 by the time they include shipping. I have to chech a few other options and then decide - I also like the bedding but is a bit too feminine if we ever have a male guest by himself. I will look into the option of painting the current headboard - Thank you!
    Opinions?

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lynninnewmexico,
    no pets here :)

valinsv,
    Thank you! taking notes!

olychick,
    The wall lamps seems to be a nice option. I saw some side tables that were narrow and deep (about 14x22), I am thinking I can manage to place one at each side. Maybe they can be small oval shaped tables. I did not think of some wall shelf, sounds like a good option. Thanks for the link!you!

• momto3kiddos
    13 years ago

Hi Marthaelena- great ideas. I too LOVE that bedspread with the headboard - where is it from?

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Definitely prioritize. It doesn't all have to get done now and become your dream room before May! That being said, there's lots of ways to find bargains. Thrift stores, garage sales, Restores, Craig's list, Freecycle, clearance racks, Target, Walmart, Ross, Marshalls, etc. etc.

Everyone is having white sales right now, so if you want to replace the bedding, now would be a good time.

• caminnc
    13 years ago

I was playing around with that same Pottery Barn spread on this post. Maybe you will see something you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Work in progress,
    Thanks a lot for the great suggestions and I'll update my "check" list with a few of them, specially because I know many persons prefer acetaminofen (DH is an advil person) and toothbrushes do not go bad!
    Towels are very important! we visited a relative and the towels were in their own bags, I think she was trying to be nice and show us that the towels were new but to me, towels need to be washed!
    Thanks again

Lynn,
    Yes, I would like to use an alternative down comforter with a duvet cover -
    In our master BR we only use duvet covers (with down duvets) and a coverlet and now I have spare comforter sets and the one shown in the pic is one of them. That was my DH idea to use them in the guest bedroom but honestly I thing they look too big.
    Thank you!

Momto3kiddos,
    The bedding and the headboard are Pottery Barn.
    Bedding is called Sienna Paisley Duvet Cover & Sham

link: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/sienna-paisley-duvet-cover-shams-blue/?pkey=cpatterned-duvet-covers-shams

and the headboard is the Seagrass (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Seagrass Headboard

• hoyamom
    13 years ago

These are all great suggestions but I will add a few things.
    When I have guests I put a picture frame on the dresser with a picture of my guests in it. When my mother comes I put a picture of her dog and for my old high school girlfriend I put a picture of us as high schoolers. Kind of makes a connection as to why they are your guests.
    A luggage rack would be great so they don't have to put their luggage on the floor or the bed.

I love Lynn's suggestion about a matalesse bedspread. I use one in my guest room along with another blanket just in case.
    I also put some bottle water, small bottles of shampoo and conditioner, hair dryer, extra towels. Also tell them where to put the wet/dirty towels - if you have room for a basket you could put one in the bedroom.

Looks great and your guests will have fun!

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

When I am a guest in a house, I always appreciate a night stand with a lamp for reading, a coaster for a cup of water, and a box of tissues. I usually always have to ask for an extra blanket so one folded up on the end of the bed would be nice.

I actually like the room, but feel some artwork above the bed or a taller headboard and artwork in the room would make it more cozy. I like the bedding and wall color but I LOVE that blue bedding shown with the blue walls. I never liked the color blue so much but these past few months, I have started to love shades of blue.

I love the iron bed with that blue bedding also.

The bedding shown by the poster is nice also.

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

P.S. A mirror above the dresser also would look nice and be appreciative.

All of Lynn's suggestions were great and so were many others that posted.

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

susanka,
    Thank you, I will install one on the back of the closet door.
    justgotobme,
    Yes, we do have a ceiling fan and I started browsing around for the headboard, tables and lamps. I am thinking that maybe I use the lamps that I have in the master BR and get new lamps for us. I am going to do a floor plan to see how the suggestion works and will post it here, maybe tomorrow. Thanks!
    Suero,
    Thank you! Those charging stations are getting very popular; I will make sure that they will have a spot to do that

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

grlwprls,
    So, the lamp cords will not hang straight?
    Yes, I also want this room to have a homey/boutique feeling
    Thank you

franksmom,
    For some reason I am not having good luck with CL. I always see how the members of this forum find CL treasures - I will check in those other places you mentioned, no garage sales in the winter, too much snow, I am in Illinois.

caminnc,
    Thank you for the link!

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

Well, the issue with those particular lamps is that the cord doesn't hang flush to the wall (so you can't secure it to the baseboard). It drops from the lamp itself if that makes sense. I guess ours have been in the box so long that the cords are taking forever to straighten out (especially since they have no real weight). All our other bedside sconces were just tacked to the baseboard so no issues. We have the Arc and Stella sconces in other rooms.

One thing that bugs me about PB is that for the price of their lamps, I can't believe that they don't have cord covers (or at least offer them).

• chris11895
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I find guest rooms to be the most fun to decorate because you can sort of make it your dream room that stays clean all of the time :-)
    I second Lynn's suggestions and would let them know in advance if you are going to have a hairdryer or iron in case they are inclined to pack it.
    I'm sort of a linen junky and decorate my rooms around my duvet covers. We're in New England so down is a must (and down alternative works great too!). I own the Sienna Paisely duvet and love it, however, when I brought it home it almost had a yellow undertone to it. I have a very neutral room so I ended up bringing in yellow accents and it looks great. I also own the PB Painterly Paisley in blue and that looks fabulous with beige/tan. You may want to look at that one as it will probably go with your existing wall color. I believe it's on sale now and I also tend to find good duvet deals on ebay. Oh and I would definitely try making the headboard dark!

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hoyamom
    Well, the 4 "scattered" pictures I have in the room now are of family and close friends that stayed with us before.
    I can tell that they get nicely surprised and happy when they see their pictures. Most of the pictures were sent by them to us. Maybe what I have to do is to organize them and coordinate the frames in a better way. I still will need to find a nice piece or wall art.
    Thank you for your suggestions

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Here is the floor plan as is, showing the guest bathroom and linen closet

and here are the possible arrangements.
    In the first one, I could place two 18" diam nightstands and a bench (maybe with storage for the dirty clothes) by the bed. Maybe my DH could install the TV on the wall next to the closet, will need to talk him into that. I am thinking, wall lamps.

The second one: I could move the dresser so they can watch TV more comfortable, shift the bed and place a bigger size night stand. Wall lamps. Space between bed and dresser bum-out is about 2'-11"

The third one: Place bed against window, one full size night stand and one table lamp. Space between bed and dresser bump-out is about: 2-9"

I hope you can give me your opinions, I am open to suggestions.
    Thanks!!!

• suero
    13 years ago

My preference is for 1 because there are tables on both sides of the bed and I like the chest for seating at the foot of the bed. 18" is adequate room to leave on the side of a bed. 2 would work if you put a small round table on the side of the bed without the table, other wise the person without a table would have to reach over their partner to get a tissue, a drink of water, put down the book they're reading...

• kjmama
    13 years ago

I like 3. Could you put a small table or shelf on that side. Maybe sconces?
    Fun discussion:)

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Suero,
    Thank you! The bench is a plus in that option, the only other option to place a nice basket or small trunck for dirty clothes is behind the door (in any option) but a bench has the advantage that they can seat or place the luggage on top.

kjmama,
    Yes, it is possible to place 16" square or round tables at each side of the bed or do something like they show in the attached link, and the lamps can be wall lamps with extension arm or smaller table lamps. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lynn2006,
    Thank you for your suggestions! I took note of them. Blue is a color that will be in the color scheme for this bedroom!

chris11895,
    I love the duvets that you have. Are you happy with the PB Painterly Paisley in blue? I read mixed reviews about this one. Thanks a lot.

• chris11895
    13 years ago

Hi Marthaelena,
    I love it! It goes with so many things and I've had no issues. What are the bad reviews about? One thing I really like about PB's bedding is that they make so many accessories in colors that go with it. I don't like to go all matchy matchy but, for example, this duvet goes very well with blues, grays and tans, and PB just happens to make all of those colors and so their lines of accents in all of those colors go well with it. Sometimes I find a duvet I love but can't find anything that goes with it!

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Could you do option #3 and just put two nightstands? I know that would make 1/2 of the closet inaccessable because the door could not swing out, but would your guests really need to use the entire closet? When your guests unpack their belongings, the suitcases could be tucked back on the right side of the closet without having to open that door.

It seems every option has some pros/cons to it, but if I had to choose something to do without, that would be it as I think most guests would appreciate two nightstands as well as a good spot to view the TV.