SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmorepanic

Suddenly, a new entrance

bmorepanic
14 years ago

This is the existing front entrance to our house - 1924 neo-colonial bungalow. A formerly open porch about 7 x 9.

{{!gwi}}

Yup - that's stucco. It was enclosed by some previous owner who did not do a critically acclaimed job. Unfortunately, it has rot, rot and more rot plus carpenter bees in the little stucco corner post. Which we discovered while having the house painted - what you see is just primer and a whole lotta caulk that my crazy painters tried. The flooring is also gonners and most of the porch is built ON the floor. Another shot of the existing porch and a sense of the scale of my little bungalow in my little yard.

{{!gwi}}

So - its all coming out. We think on the side, we are going to put back stucco across the entire opening and then front it with trellis on stand-offs with clematis and maybe a climbing rose - disguise the patch a bit and soften the large expanse of blank wall. The alternative treatment *way cheaper* is to do board siding. If we blank that wall, we can have a closet in the entranceway.

We'd make the height/width of the moldings be the same as the existing casings on the main house. Make the windows on both sides of the door the same height/panel size as the windows in the living room. Do a wide molding in between the windows and the bottom wall with the mailbox on one side and a small planter on the other. The lower panel is board siding the same size as the board siding on the large dormer. Get a new door that is 36" wide, scoot it over a bit so it lines up with the inner front door and maybe make it 7 feet tall like the inner front door - shown at about 6'8".

Light fixtures are for amusement only, but would like to do something similar. And have a door bell location that people could find!

{{!gwi}}

What do you think? I kinda like it, but it also looks a bit commercial.

Comments (4)