SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendrahrose_gw

Vapor barrier for insulation behind plaster walls.

kendrahrose
10 years ago

Hello,

QUESTION:

We are putting up plaster on metal lath walls. Behind the walls is newly installed Knauf eco batt insulation with kraft facing. Our contractor is concerned about the water content from the plaster penetrating the kraft facing and is asking around about what kind of vapor barrier should be used between the plaster and the kraft. The hitch is we do not want to use anything that has horrible chemicals or terrible off-gassing. (He is used to using roofing paper that he says will be too strong smelling for us.) Any ideas?

BACKGROUND:

We have needed to do extensive repairs to our kitchen. The kitchen is a more recent addition (c. 1930) to our house (c. 1853). The previous owners put drywall in the kitchen when they were remodeling. Now is our opportunity to put up plaster walls instead. We are set on doing this to match the rest of the houses' plaster, plus plaster contains fewer chemicals and lasts longer, both of which are priorities to us, even though it is more expensive.

My immune system has been haywire since chemotherapy and I have all kinds of reactions to smells and off-gasing that didn't used to bother me before - hence why we are picky about the products we are using. Also, my mom has an allergy to formaldahyde. We are an interesting family!

Thanks.

Comment (1)