SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joker_girl

Odd Roofline, How Would A Person Even Change Such A Thing.

Joker_Girl
9 years ago

Here is my very, very wonderful, much loved, house that we purchased early this spring.

I was afraid to buy it at first, having never owned an old house, but having always wanted one. I second guessed the decision repeatedly, because things tend to screw up for me.

My only mistake in buying this house was that I did not buy it sooner. Hubby and I have been here since March, and are beyond happy. I cannot stress enough how absolutely, totally, and completely in love with my house I am. Sometimes, when I'm alone in it, I tell it. Lol. Ends up, it's older than I thought....1869 vs 1884. And that's okay, because I loved it either way.

The only actual construction it needs is the porch needs jacked up, footings poured under it, and set back down, and the floor of it has some rot as do two pillars, right at the bottom. I've relented to allow the floor of it to be replaced with new, on the condition that the boards be removed rather than ripped up, so I can reuse them (I'll figure out for what later, but they are NOT getting destroyed.) The pillars, I refuse to budge on, insisting the pillars MUST be used, even if part of the bottom couple inches on two must be cut out and pieced in. The construction guy suggested replacing them, and I had an absolute COW, and so they are staying. I DO want it fixed so that a person can go out on the top of that porch again, with the iron railing I'm sure was there at one time.

For an italianate, it has a strange kind of roof line. There is almost no overhang, and there are no corbels. There is some kind of tin flashing around the top, right up to the roof. It's brick behind it. The whole thing is brick, basement to attic. THREE layers thick. It might survive a nuclear war.

The roof is brand new in 2009-2010, and presumably that is when this change was made. The carriage house and garage all have the same roof...red shingles, hipped roof, little to no overhang.

How would a person even go about changing it back? Is it even possible? We certainly don't need a new roof now, but if the day ever comes....could they somehow take it back to the way it would have been before? (With the corbel/brackets)?

Why would they have changed it, would you suppose?

Comments (9)