SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

I hit the drapery lottery. Now what?

celticmoon
15 years ago

I'm frugal (or cheap depending on your perspective) and for 10 years have suffered the ugly vertical blinds here when we moved in. Every couple weeks my work takes me near a Penny's outlet where I check for returned custom drapes. After literally years, my ship came in this week. Big time.

I found 20 linear feet of custom pinch pleated lined drapery in a fabric just right for my great room. $1770 discounted to $108. Hard to capture the fabric in a picture, but here it is. The fabric is heavy with a nice sheen and the colors are richer than the washed out picture: chocolate brown, lime green, gold, orange, and taupes with metalic threading. Unusual and a bit funky. Not for everyone, but perfect with the wood builtins and other colors in my living room.

The verticals came down today. Yay. And my marriage survived hanging the traverse rod. Twice. (to get the length right)

Question: What are options to treat the exposed traverse rod when the drapes are open? I was thinking to take extra fabric - I have a lot, as the above used only half - and fashion some kind of soft cornice or valence. Partly to cover the rod but also to enhance the thermal value as I live in the frozen tundra. There are shorter windows with cellular shades on the opposite side of the room that could use similar cornice/valence treatment.

I have googled and read here but I'm still not sure what to do. I understand a shirred topper is WAY out of style. What then is a good casual alternative? Is a tailored valence an option? My thought is maybe to build a cornice and mount short overlaping flat panels - nothing looped, shirred, ballooned, flounced or otherwise fussy. Just to add some height, cover the rod and close in the air space. Would that be, well, wrong? I am ignorant as to window style points. I get that rings and a heavy rod are one look, but I want a more energy efficient solution that incorporates closing the air gap at the top of the window.

(I also scored 20 feet of a cream silk duponi pinch pleat for the bedroom for $140. Need to figure out how to work with that as well.)

Any guidance or referral to information sources most appreciated!

Comments (24)