FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
lola1_gw

House is humming, literally

lola1
16 years ago

Hello everyone. I'm a new poster to this forum although I've enjoyed reading and learning from many a post here for quite a while.

I have a weird situation. Last summer, my fiance and I moved into a Fresno home built in '52. A few months ago, I noticed a humming noise in the center of the house, which would be where the furnace unit and hot water unit is. Both items are actually in separate 'closets', across from each other in a rather long hallway. It seems as though it's coming from the attic and I can definitely hear it when I press my ears against the walls of the hallway. I can also hear the noise through the vent in the master bath, a ways away. Some days I don't hear it at all. Some days I can hear it change pitch and 'waiver.' It seems that wind does not play a factor. Some days it seems slightly louder than others, but that could be my imagination. It's not loud. It's not as though company comes over someone says, 'Hey, what's up with that hum?!' However, if you mention it to somebody, they stand in the hallway, they always say, 'yeah, I hear it!'

Last night I couldn't take it anymore. So, one-by-one we switched off the circuits to see if this hum was connected---literally-- to any part of the electrical circuit. We turned everything off and the house still hummed.

Has anyone had a house hum? This is driving me crazy!!!

Comments (291)

• nancylearn1
    6 months ago

My house is humming too. It’s terrible!!!!!!!The other night it was making a pattern of 3 higher pitches and one low, repeatedly. (All pitches I’m hearing are low, so I’m talking in relation to each other.)

I have very good hearing so this is maddening!!!

I can feel the vibration in the wall with my hand!

I think it’s the electric where it hooks to the upper side of our house.

• HU-335527923
    6 months ago

Glad I googled and found this conversation thread.

I moved into a brand new constuction home Feb 2021 upstate NY and the sound just wont stop. i also have tinnitus. I don’t hear it in my unfinished basement but very loud in the rest of my home, attached garage

• Related Discussions

Look what [literally] popped up at my house.

Q

Comments (10)
    So, UPDATE! I think I have solved the mystery of how this plant came to be. And it means I am not actually crazy (well, not all the way, at least).... I posted here: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bulbs/msg0514245925482.html?7 Here is a link that might be useful: My post in the bulbs forum. This post was edited by aharriedmom on Thu, May 30, 13 at 6:38
    ...See More

Humming bird houses worthy of buying?

Q

Comments (5)
    There is a hook like structure being marketed as an aid to encourage hummingbirds to nest. Also there are commercial nesting materials for sale as well as providing cattalil and bulrush down, loose wool and raw cotton. I can`t get the link to work - try looking at www.hummingbird-house.com
    ...See More

Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure

Q

Comments (157)
    I did see this! And yes, I still LOVE it five years later. We still haven't begun the 2nd-floor bathroom, aka the 1925 Hall Bath/Faux Master which is our only bathroom on the bedroom level with a clawfoot tub & a shower ring. So the Starting From Dirt Basement Bathroom is still my favorite place to shower. So here's how to do the Starting From Dirt Basement Bath set up: Hansgrohe Ibox rough in Shower & tub fixtures - Hansgrohe Rain S Showerhead & hand shower S Thermostatic Trim with Volume Control and Diverter (tub to shower) Kohler HydroRail Shower Column and Diverter (showerhead to hand shower) Metris S tub filler The Tub Filler & Hydrorail are tied together at the Ibox by the diverter on the shower trim, the two showerheads switch between each other on the Hydorail. Run it all by your plumber - I don't know if all these parts (especially the hydrorail) are still available! Good luck! Also, here's a link to Part 2 of the Adventure: https://tinyurl.com/ydntvkzc
    ...See More

Need help with unusual noise

Q

Comments (12)
    My well pump makes a huge racket when it kicks on. When the icemaker in the fridge refills with water, you can hear the water run for a few seconds, then stop. I have central AC on the furnace that has a condensate pump which comes on whenever the water level lifts the float enough, and pumps the water through a small hose to the outside of the house. I also have a dehumidifier in the basement that is piped to the AC condensate pump so it empties itself. Toilets that are leaking water, either past the "flapper" in the bottom of the tank will refill when the level drops low enough to lower the float and activate the fill valve. Water hammer noise is common on toilet fill valves, so this could be what you're hearing. Replacing the flapper is easy and inexpensive, just turn off the water to the toilet tank (there should be a shutoff underneath) and flush to drain the tank. The flapper is often a rubber thingy that is stuck onto little hooks on the sides of the overflow pipe. Just unhook it and take it to the hardware store for a replacement. Other types might be a ball shaped thing stuck onto the bottom of a stiff vertical wire. It probably unscrews. If you determine with the food coloring that the water in the tank is leaking into the bowl, and you encounter something different in your tank setup, a description of what you see in there would help. Jo
    ...See More
  • HU-935917904
    6 months ago

The fact that this thread continues to be such a source of information, feedback, and solace to those who experience these issues is, quite frankly, amazing.

From a wide overview of the available research, my current best-guess hypothesis is that all of us feature some combination of hyperacusis, tinnitus, and other unknown factors involving fluids in the ear, etc. which make us much more prone to perceiving certain sound ranges.

I work for a major healthsystem in our (US) region, and I have a complete audiologist and ENT appointment set for mid-December. I will absolutely update this thread if/when any results are produced. Thank you to all and I hope that everyone continues sharing!

• Sam Ashby
    6 months ago

I've lived in 3 different countries in the last 6 years and the hum has been everywhere I've lived Spain Portugal and UK it's driving me insane. Today I found a page on Google that is reporting this low level humming around the world 2% of the population can hear it they have a map and survey to fill in and all the points have been dotted on a world map so you can see where's affected. The UK is absolutely covered in dots where people have reported it. They've discovered ambidextrous people and people with ADHD are more receptive to hearing it. I have to wear two sets of the wax earbuds and have meditation music playing just so I can get a few hours sleep it's really not pleasant and relentless.

• peggy davis
    5 months ago

I have the same thing, and it's harassment in my case. I moved from CA to MI to get away from it. It is a law enforcement officer I ticked off doing it to me. I'm not saying someone is doing it to you, but someone is to me. Here is what my research has found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_harassment_device

• Mike Buckley
    5 months ago

Hi all. I'm from the UK and live in a Bungalow on the edge of a valley. Over the last month there has been a constant humming at night (sometimes can hear in the day) but mainly nighttime. It's like a reverberating hum. It keeps me awake. I've been out to see if we have any roadworks or the like that may be causing it. I've found nothing other than a new Bio Mass plant about a mile away the other side of the valley. The annoying thing is when I open the windows at home you can't hear anything. It's when the double windows are closed it's like the walls are vibrating and the hum/drone is constant. I got some ear plugs that do work! I have no hearing problems at all. This is so annoying, neighbors say they hear it too, but we are all at a loss as to the sudden cause.

• mdungan
    5 months ago

This started for me a few weeks back (Thanksgiving 2021) and it’s absolutely awful. I just don’t know who to call (electric company- telecom company-local builders-township supervisor). It’s maddening.

• HU-209508062
    5 months ago

I have found my problem. The humming noise was constant in my cellar for 3 weeks. Everyone thought it might be electrical, etc to no avail and we had no one to call. This morning my wife moved an old exercise bike and thought the noise was near the bike.

The bike is 25 or 30 years old with a small unit that registers speed, calories burned, time,

etc. When she tapped that unit, the noise stopped. I took the unit off and threw it away.

It had no batteries in it. Just a wire from 30 years ago. Maybe this will help someone with

some similiar device. Good Luck !!!!!!!!!

• ThroughSpace AndTime
    5 months ago

Hey everyone, I've just read through this whole conversation and MY GOD I am sort of happy that I am not the only one and have gone completely mad but at the same time it's frustrating to see other people suffering.

I've just moved into a new flat and am also hearing this hum. It's like two frequencies at once, one is a low base that vibrates through all the floors and walls, and at the same time there is a higher pitched one that sounds like a TV static in the distance. It's just irritating.

It's impossible to sleep through it, and even silicone earplugs aren't doing the trick as somehow the vibrations are even piercing through that and vibrating the bed so it's not exactly comfortable to sleep this way. I am going to buy a white noise machine and see if its any better.

I don't have any hearing problems (had my ears checked by ENT a few months ago and they seemed fine). However I am a light sleeper and chronic wearer of earplugs as of 6+ years or I just can't sleep. I've lived in many noisy places and the plugs have managed to block out all other sounds, but don't seem to be blocking out this one which I find really suspect.

I'm going to have someone come look at all the water and gas pipes to double check there's nothing wrong, also check the vents. Seeming as it can be heard to the similar level through-out the whole apartment I am hoping it's just an issue with the pipes water pressure or something like that?

As for the Schumann Resonance, those of us who are spiritually inclined will know that the world is at a huge turning point collectively (our collective consciousness). Perhaps it's that. However I've only moved two miles away and my previous apartment was fine, so I will update what's happening soon.

• TIMOTHY LARKIN
    4 months ago

I'm 50 in Johnsburg IL. I also hear the low pitch humming that sounds like an engine running nearby. I've had high-pitched ringing in my ears for about 25 years (or longer). I associate that with my tendency to tense up which puts pressure on the ear structure. Only recently do I hear this extra humming at my house. I thought it was a fan, but then one day the town electrical grid shut down due to bad weather. I still heard it without any electricity. The humming is prominent in my left ear. It is strongest at home, but I do hear it in other places. When environmental sounds are quiet, that is when I may hear the humming. I've heard it at work and at church. It feels like an outside vibration, even affecting my whole body. But I can't hear the sound. Earplugs do not work. Noise-cancelling ear buds (without sound playing) don't work either. Headphones/ear buds with sound playing does succeed in masking it completely (or watching TV without headphones tends to mask it). If I am active in my home, I don't hear it. Only if I'm sitting or laying down without headphones will I hear it. It's loudest when I lay down in bed. However, I am able to fall asleep and I don't wake up to it.

• HU-659716251
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

“Then he said to them: ’Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilence (virus) in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven. -- Luke 21; 10-11

One of the signs in heaven (sky) /symptoms of human activity swamping the natural world, may well be audible rather than visual.

• kudzu9
    4 months ago

Back to the Twilight Zone....

• peppersd
    4 months ago

HU-659716251 If that were true, then EVERYONE would be hearing this humm.....not just some people. Think about it - 2 or 3 people living in the same home, but only 1 hears it. Not really a 'sign' ....

• HU-935917904
    4 months ago

TIMOTHY LARKIN: It is interesting how closely people's experiences tend to match, as your's pretty much describes my own (also in IL, Chicago suburbs), but others here have been posting from South Africa and Tasmania with the same issues, so the issue does not seem to be regional.

I work for a healthsystem in the US, and thus hesitate a bit less to use my insurance these days, and I have been recently examined by both an MD Audiologist as well as an MD ENT (December 2021).

Current medical hypothesis: Neuroplasticity side effects caused by jaw tension. Went to a dentist and he concluded that I do not grind my teeth at night, but ENT responded that dentists only look for a specific set of symptoms related to teeth, not your overall facial muscles and neurological functioning, for which the science is ever-developing. No cure if they do not find inflammation or fluids in the ear, however, other than addressing lifestyle, stress.

Side question, possibly related: For people who might have previously experienced tinnitus, but not low-bass throbbing sounds (like me), how many have been diagnosed with COVID? One theory is that long-term COVID effects are now interacting with tinnitus.

Alternative hypothesis: My MD ENT was actually not dismissive of the whole "5G" theory and unknown effects of current industrial-technological development. Literally none of it is being studied in terms of lasting effects on humans, so it really is a question mark.

"The Hum" Wikipedia page indicates that reports have been collected for 40+ years, so my bet is on unidentified jaw issues linking back to the inner ear, etc., but, to me, oftentimes when one "single" solution cannot be found, it means that multiple issues are occurring simultaneously. Interesting in a way that I am not certain that I ever wanted to be interested, though.

• HU-581656155
    4 months ago

I have same problem in my house, I've had the electricity board out,no answer to the noise, going to get in touch with telecom to ask if all their telephone lines connected to the building could be he cause??

• peggy davis
    4 months ago

Are there still telephone lines? It may be cell towers? Its maddening, it never stops.

• Brandon Overlin
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I have not seen anyone mention this yet so I thought I would share a research paper I recently read. I believe this definitely deserves more attention and regulation than it is currently receiving.

It's a possible explanation why only certain people can hear or feel the "hum".

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/lrOefRF1ASoY

• Chrissy Parangi
    4 months ago

It's the 5g

• catherinet (5IN)
    4 months ago

I think it's a combination of everything in this world today. :(

• peggy davis
    4 months ago

AGREE

• peggy davis
    4 months ago

I have two parakeets and a puppy. I like to watch their reactions to the house humm. Just when i think I'm going crazy i know i'm not when my puppy hides under the bed and my birds start screeching.

• kudzu9
    4 months ago

Chrissy Parangi- This thread was started 16 years ago, before 5G (or even 4G) was implemented. Conspiracy theorists already blame wireless for a number of things so I'm not sure this needs to be added to the rap sheet....

• HU-356326447
    4 months ago

I live in a hummer house. I can hear this constantly. It is an oscillating "noise" that pulsates at seemingly the same frequency 24 hours a day. i am the only one in the household that can hear this "thing". It sounds like a ceiling fan that is out of balance and vibrating at a high pitch. So, I began my investigation. I can hear it anywhere in the house. I turned off the main brakers to the whole house to isolate it. The sound remained constant with always the same amplitude. I then left the house and went outside. Could still hear the hum. I walked away from the house and at approximately 50 yards from the house the "hum" was not there. Walked back toward the house and very quickly picked up the "hum". The hum has been with me for several months but me and my spouse decided it was my ears and internal to me. She can't hear it. She can hear me breathe, cough or say anything miles away (well at a long distance from her in the house or outside). There is only "one" change that has been made in our neighborhood that could cause this. A 5G cell tower looking straight at our house from a hill across from us. This tower is a monster. My next objective will be to use a frequency sound listening device to track down this villian. I am very confident that the cell tower is the culprit. Guess they won't shut it down for me to test my theory. It is with me 24 hours a day and is very disturbing. Concentration, sleep and rest is very difficult. I can tune out my spouse, highway traffic, airplanes that fly overhead and about every other sound known to man... but not the "HUM". Let you know what I find.

• thierry22
    4 months ago

I live in Quebec, Canada and I have been hearing the same sound, I'm glad I found this thread but sad the issue has not been resolved.

I live on the last floor of a triplex, I wonder if the people living on the first floor hear it the same way.

What a hear is also a pulsating low frequency sound. Like a diesel engine train stopped, or a plane passing indefinitely. It is sounding 24/7 but only inside my appartment. Tonight it stopped for a couple of minutes for some reasons but it is now back. I have tinnitus aswell since I am 15. My girlfriend is also hearing it but she doesn't have tinnitus. Like everyone, it is driving us crazy. Only thing I have right now is that we figure out one of the electric grey bin on the pole outside is making a certain noise, I called the electric national company to check it but I thouhgt the vibration was resonnating in the floor. Anyway let's where it gets us...

• Jay Cameron
    4 months ago

I've traced our pulsating low frequency problem to a motor running in our neighborhood. We have a transformer in our front lawn that must feed the motor. When running, the pulsing is throughout our house...no escape. It is slightly louder closer to the transformer.

Either the motor is out of balance or slowly wearing out, or the transformer feed is poorly grounded. My wife doesn't hear it at all. I have tinnitus but it's a totally different sound...hoping the motor gets replaced some day.

• TIMOTHY LARKIN
    3 months ago

HU-935917904 I was sick a couple of times during covid, but never got tested. I never had the symptoms (ie, loss of taste or smell). I have some good news... The last three days have been totally silent (no humming). I've been taking Metamucil for constipation. Since I've been more regular, the humming has been reduced/eliminated. I've also noticed that after some exercise, I don't hear humming. The solution to this problem may be some simple diet and exercise. (My job is sitting all day long, so I don't get any exercise.)

• HU-858087884
    3 months ago

lola1, did u ever figure out what caused the noise? we may have something similar and it is not some phenomna please advise thankx

• HU-543811102
    2 months ago

Yes, I have had this for 2 1/2 years and am going mad. I am beginning to think that there is some electric circuitry underground that causes this. Good luck. Sadly, that is all I can say, JK

• HU-100570936
    2 months ago

YES,That is going on with us right now!It's been a few months and is driving me crazy.Ay first we thought maybe alot of crickets but no,it's something else.Im not sure what to do.I have been on Google and now I'm afraid it might be electrical.Any advice?

• HU-592940334
    2 months ago

Same, assumed it was neighbors resonance of so e devices or electrical him. But no! Even thought it was resonating between houses or cars a d heavy vehicles? Constant repetitive hum that resonates between 80-100 Hz after down loading spectrometer analysis app. It also shows the constant frequency is producing 65-70 dB of noise which is damaging prolonged? Best thing is no one else in the house hears it🤦‍♂️😆😵‍💫. My partner has heard it a couple of times but not as constant as my self. Would love to get to the bottom of it! I cancel it out through music, clenching my teeth😁🤦‍♂️ but only for few seconds, or anything that will mask the regency. I have heard it outside whe n its strong and in my car....would love to pin point it, above responses seem logical with more and more technology in the world. Frequencies are underestimated! Sound proofing accustic and insulating new house soon so will see of that will work on reducing the hum, will be applying EMF shielding paint which is mainly for WiFi restriction and external frequencies omitting into the house. Anyone have more detailed research apart from above would really appreciate it, and give your location roughly. Britain north west. Good luck.

• teresa losantos
    2 months ago

Dorothy L - 159753

I am experiencing a low frequency noise coming from the ventilation unit from the flat below when it is at high speed (in Boost). The neighbour keeps running the ventilation in Boost for a long time even at night time. The problem I have is that I don't know what device to use to record this noise as the car idling type of noise cannot be captured with a mobile telephone inside my flat, although, it does from outside. But I need a type of microphone or some kind of device to be able to record this noise from inside the flat.

Anybody has any suggestions?

• eiram910
    2 months ago

Glad to find this thread although it's frustrating that there are no definitive answers. I hear this hum in every room of my house, including every closet. I just noticed this in the past year or so. It seems to get louder late at night. I thought it might be the furnace transformer echoing in all of the duct work. Will need to get someone to check it out.

• lajoseph58
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I’ve been bothered by a constant low frequency humming noise in my home for several years. I’m in a rural area in Northern CA with nothing but an occasional wild animal or dog barking at night when its most pronounced. I thought it may have something to do with my propane tank, or the wifi signal its emitting , but I hear it just as loud throughout the house so i dont think that could be it. My next guess is a motor, perhaps my older HVAC, or maybe not even one in my house. I’ve recently considered whether it could be inner-ear related, so this discussion has been interesting. I’m moving next week (not because of this), but at the same time, really hope to be done with the hum!! I should at least be able to determine if it was the house or me! (Frankly, I’m looking forward to more street noise at night)! Best luck to everyone else contending with this issue.

• peggy davis
    2 months ago

There are frequencies only some people can hear, for example under 18 years hear higher frequencies, and generally it goes away but not always. I hear noises no one around me hears, then a younger child might mention it, saving me from thinking I went crazy. :)

• Charles Paxson
    2 months ago

Thank you all for your experiences. I just moved into a newly renovated condo, and I hear the distant hum of what I describe as an idling train. I had a friend over the other night and she did not hear anything. This gave me hope, because I heard the sound in a local library that morning. There’s something going on within my inner ear, but the particular apartment feels different. I have lived in the city for 25 years, in a few condos and nothing like this continuous hum. I am considering hanging quilts, and/or making sound measurements in the hope of finding a way to dampen the low frequency pitch. Good luck all. If I solve my problem I will report back.

• peggy davis
    2 months ago

Before you hang quilts, first stick your fingers in your ears. For me personally it does no good at all. Leaving the house is the only way I can stop the hum.

• Christine Taylor
    last month

Hello - our home has had a low pitched (bass) hum for a few weeks now. I am a musician and wondered about air flow and have been up in the attic, but can't find anything. I am also starting to be able to feel a slight vibration, but can't locate it. This is especially odd to me as a musician, because I ought to be able to locate a sound source. It is NOT a condition personal to me - I do NOT ever hear the sound in any other locations where I spend time - just at the house. The descriptions others have posted here parallel my own.

• HU-159832364
    last month

i check up on this thread every year or so hoping for more info and im so glad to see it active!

i have had the hum for 8 years (before 5g), never had covid, sont hear it outside my house but hear it strongly everywhere in my house, even with the breakers off, the description of the WHOOOOOM, WHOOOOOM low bass sound was dead on and ear plugs make the situation worse because it just covers masking aounds while the low frequncy hum penetrates just fine. only covering the sound helps. i dont hear it in orber places that i have noticed, just my house and no one else has ever heard it. went to an ENT and my ears are in excellent health and my bearing is fine. went to a dentist and i am not grinsing my teeth. i have had a history of TMJ but the noise is constant, not just when my jaw is havinf issues. im at a loss. we love our house and our location but i dont think i can go on living like this, i dont hear it other places so i need to move at this point but i have no answers.

• HU-251938516
    last month

Hi all - we’re in northwest england and got the hum in December 2020. Very rural location. House is currently humming! More frequent at night past midnight. Only ever hear it in my left ear, but our doctors (GPs) have ruled out tinnitus. Others have heard the hum here. I only ever hear it here. Very very annoying! Happens on quietest of days/nights, seemingly has no source (ie cannot walk to find it) but tonight have found can hear it on one side of the house (facing east) and inside the house (very loud!) but not outside facing north, west or south. Help!

• billie thompson
    last month

I feel like this humming is hurting me in everyway! There is no Peace for me! I don’t know what to do! It is driving me crazy!

• elaine nichols
    last month

I also have this in my home. since march/ april of 2021.

i have had electrian for northern grid.

water board gas man . broadband. no faults were found by any of them.

i have had help of my local mp. amd my local councilor. i have at the mon got the noise recorder in my home from EH .hoping this the seconf time will pick itup . the councilor can hear it. no one else can/ has . if i have to go through another wi ter with this hum amd vibration i shall not see spring.

• Jaime Woodham
    last month

I am in the same boat. Lived in my bungalow for 3 years now, first 2 years, silence this past year and especially the past 3 months have been hell. Constant hum and very low vibration. Almost feels like mass pressure inside the house. Yet, not coming from outside! I have put my ear to the walls, floor, I can't find a specific place that this noise is coming from. I have not slept since Feb 21st 22. My next move is to bleed all the radiators in the place to see if it might be pressure in pipes. I am convinced it is something to do with getting that smart reader installed, but I am stunned that so many of you are going through the same thing. If I find an answer, I will post it here but I'd love to know what it is.

• HU-345215738
    last month
    last modified: last month

Also experiencing same issues as above. All fine for the past 14 years, then three months ago the hum started along with my insanity. Can hear it now. Absolutely driving me insane. The two frequency example is spot on, low base vibration plus high pitch resonance. Have had electricians, plumbers, power companies in, absolutely NO ONE can pin it down. Have spent hours and £££ trying to resolve it. Am now at wits end. Only way forward now seems to move. Travesty as I am very happy here, but lack of peace, sleep, people thinking im imagining it and so called professionals unable to solve has left me devastated. As someone stated above, if this is Spring, not sure i will see summer lol. If anyone ever finds the cause, please post. So we can all get on with our lives.

• HU-251938516
    last month

Could it be fracking? to me it really feels like something very fundamental/ industrial and not near. I find it bizarre and unacceptable that no one knows what causes it! How has a government not figured this out?

• Debbie Hipskind
    27 days ago

Just wanted to chime in with I am having the same problem. I am going to have to knock on some doors around me and see if I can get someone to come over and see if they hear this noise. I hear it in my house, and in my car while at the Chiropractor recently. I have talked to my cell phone company and she told me they were in the process of turning off the 3G tower near my house. When they did this noise went away for 2 weeks. But then it came back and when I talked to her again she said they just boosted their 5G towers. So, I do wonder if it is from the cell tower. I did talk to my next door neighbor and she doesn't hear it but she is old which is saying something because I am 62. My husband has hearing loss so he doesn't hear it either. I asked the bug man but he has Tinnitus and can't hear anything. This noise is hard to describe but it goes up and down in frequency. I would say it is about 130 HZ at it's lowest. I have listened to various noises on YouTube to try to nail down the frequency. It is very frustrating. I think another thing I might try is staying in a hotel to see if I hear it. If I thought for one second selling my house would work I would do it.

• Linda Amason
    27 days ago

I say 5 g...the buzzing is here constantly. Right now as a matter of fact. Seems like it started when new LED street lites went in ..my son came in and I asked him to sit in rm ..he hears it also. Closest I can describe is pilot lite hissing on an old wall heater..my 90 yr old friend asked why the water was running. It's the

• Debbie Hipskind
    25 days ago

Another thing I wanted to mention is that sometimes when it rains the noise stops. I wonder if that is true for anyone else.

• Charles Paxson
    24 days ago

Hello - I have been puzzled over this phenomena for a while, and I'm inclined to believe I have Low-frequency tinnitus. This is a self diagnosis, and I found a company the describes this phenomena: Audiology Associates of Southern Oregon, Inc. On May 20th I have an annual checkup, and from that appointment I will seek a hearing specialist. I will update in June.

What I have noticed is that the low frequency hum is present in my quiet new condominium. If I am moving around in the house and the dishwasher and clothes washer or dryer is operating, or if the forced hot air system is heating my home, the hum is not discernible. If I listen to a podcast, or talk on the phone, the hum is in the background but tolerable. If I need silence to work, then the hum is loud and clear. I then turn on the HVAC system fan, or I use an app called myNoise, and I play white noise, or bells or nature sounds like rain. The previous comment asked whether people experience the noise going away in a rainstorm, and my artificial rainstorms cause me to agree with this observation. According to Audiology Assoc’s, the rainstorms or my Apps white noise is probably what they call masking. I notice that when I go to the office or to a particular library, the HVAC system is constantly running, so I only hear the “white noise” of the fans running in the background, no low frequency hum. There is one library that is quiet, and there I can hear the hum, though not as intensely as in my condo. My assumption is that my condo is quieter than the quiet library.

I was discussing this with a close friend this weekend. He’s a physicist working for Apple, and he's been involved in audio engineering lately. He claimed that the iPhone mic has a good pickup range covering the audio range of the human ear. He pointed me to physics Apps where you could use your phone to measure sounds. The Apps are: phypox, or Physics Toolbox Sensor Suite. If I record the sound spectrum in my condo versus stepping outside where I don’t hear the hum, I don’t see a difference in the spectra. I might pursue this with a friend who records classical concerts and can make a high fidelity professional recording, but my preliminary investigation shows that there is no vibration or sound in my condo, instead I’m more inclined to believe that my ear has likely developed this type of tinnitus. I’m 61 years old and I guess this is the beginning of the end. System failures I guess is the term. After 50 it’s maintenance, maintenance, maintenance as a wise elder once told me. I hope this information is beneficial to others who are trying to figure out what is the cause of their hum. Best of luck. Charles

• Debbie Hipskind
    24 days ago

Thanks for posting Charles. I too have wondered if my ears are somehow creating this noise. I have tried in vain to record the sound. I am going to go to my doctor later this month and from there go see an audiologist.

Sponsored Story
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Pro Spotlight: Dive Into a Pool That Suits Its Surroundings